Parking: Lot, Private. 2020 #1 Hi everyone, with the upcoming waterfowl season I've begun looking at leasing a 2 man blind up in Los Banos. turns out that WU double booked the blind. Highlights. . The grasslands hold good numbers of divers throughout the season. $1200 a hole is about average/lower average for a spot in a two man blind in grasslands. For the most part, specific hot spots must be found by watching the birds. Nearby Restaurants. If its not feet down in the decoys at 15 yards, were not shooting. There are 17 blinds, plus a mobility-impaired blind. The duck hunting season might end in January, but care of your retriever is a year-round project. Another flock of longtails wings overhead, their melodic whistle giving them away just before we see them. Contact the Los Banos office for details at 209/826-0463. Interested individuals should contact Steven Wildblood at stillbowinfo@gmail.com to ensure they are queued up --or, if you are interested in learning more about the opportunity to join our club. Los Banos Duck Club Openings. Box [ ]. Double Blind available Great Club. Duck Club, Los Banos. Subscriber Services. This time, shes smiling as she reloadsand shes gentler about it, too. Sure, I will take straight limits of mallards, but there are many days when that will not happen. Were hunting off Marylands Eastern Shore, a place so steeped in waterfowling history that some call it the cradle of modern waterfowl hunting. Just a short distance south of Los Banos is the 550-acre Mud Slough Refuge. Located in Los Banos,. Mallards have now become the most sought after duck on the refuges, and some of the areas are groomed just for them. Copyright Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors L.L.C. There are 190 farmable acres, total farm 294.38 acres. This 316-acre club is strategically located between the 7,400-acre North Grasslands Wildlife Area. Is this a club, or just a blind.? We are wait listed at this time. Publisher Laden Force speaks with Stevie Rogers at the Rogers Sporting Goods Annual Waterfowl Weekend. seemed very year towards the end of the season when the duck hunting was gettin good he would find someone else in his blind that he booked. You must log in or register to reply here. I spoke with a club manager who oversees three different clubs (Lucky 6, Edgewater and . The club was located in the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge in Box Elder County, Gadwall is bordered on the north by Highway 152 and the east by Santa Fe Grade road. Blue Goose is the smallest of the grassland refuges and. . Logan, Utah. Its another wet, arduous ride back to shore, and I can still feel the rolling saltwater under me as I walk across the boat-launch parking lot. I had just settled into my chosen blind, after placing my decoys, when I spied four mallards fighting the wind to the west. Follow the link below to take a certified hunter safety course online for California. (559) 269-250. 160 Acres in Los Banos, CA - $550,000 Drake And Payne Duck Club This is an historic, classic, grasslands duck club. It was one of those crystal-clear, cold days, with a howling northeast wind. While putting out my blocks, I had seen occasional groups of ducks and geese drifting in and out of the high fog. After a fun morning, shooters and crew gathered for lunch and chatted about the challenges of drought, alternative uses of water, and urban expansion into the afternoon. S-10 Pocoloco Clu b 160 AC. When we reached our five-bird limits just before 10 a.m., we shared a cup of coffee and rehashed the morning's events before picking up and bagging our decoys. A rough, open-water sea duck hunt in Chesapeake Bay proves to be an action-packed adventure. Hunters are cautioned to bring a bucket to hunt one of the blinds, as they may need bailing. I knew youd get the hang of it, he says. Youll be anchored in about 10 feet of water. What are the operations cost, water rights, well specs, etc.? Department Head. South of San Luis and Salt Slough Refuges is Los Banos Wildlife Refuge, the oldest in the grasslands and one of the largest. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. We are wait listed at this time. There are several open blinds because of everything that is going on right now. Los Banos 89 AC. rotation on the blinds. DECOYS AND GEAR While the number of decoys you use and how you arrange them are personal choices, I know one successful hunter who only uses six mallard decoys and pursues mallard exclusively. Dont worry, guys, he says. H. HeadsUpHunters . It had been an inspiring day but not an unusual one in Central California. S-27 Lia tnip, Inc. 221 AC. Every new sea duck hunter starts out shooting at everything in range. The morning started with heavy fog and shifted into rain as the group shot out of a stand-up blind with a rich mix of species roaring through from three different sloughs. But this is sea ducking, and getting out here has long been on my bucket list. It took just a little coaxing from my call and I had them coming my way. The birds are edibleat best. The limit that year was six birds, but only one could be a hen mallard. S-25 The Reedly D uck Cl b 320 AC. You have plenty of shells? he asks. Two of the blinds are goose pits, with room for three people in each. As 5:00 p.m. was the shooting deadline, I knew I would be grateful for what might come my way. LOCATION: 16491 Cotton Road, Los Banos, California 93635. Mendota can accommodate more hunters (600-plus) than any other refuge in central California. The cost for the two man blind is $4,500. Mentioning quotas brings to mind a hunt at Los Banos in December a few years back. It's adjacent to the Los Banos Waterfowl Management area and the San Luis National Wildlife Refuge. It is a long, narrow, fairly open marshland planted with water grass, a favored forage of the mallard. The best hunting for species like scoters and long-tailed ducksthe politically correct name for oldsquaws, which is still used by sea duck hunterstakes place a mile or more from shore. Its almost too rough.. The spot is in Merced County. Fortune Farms DUCK CLUB LOS BANOS CALIFORNIA 9/21/2016 - YouTube 0:00 / 8:01 Fortune Farms DUCK CLUB LOS BANOS CALIFORNIA 9/21/2016 ronieboy44 1.15K subscribers Subscribe 3.2K views. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. The sprigs are still there but hunters have had to change tactics and key in on other species. Wow. One unique feature is that Merced only allows hunting on Saturdays and Wednesdays, and shooting time ends at noon. Contact: Kirby@chesapeakehunting.com. If you don't have water rights then the price is 35-40 an acre foot, if available. 204.2 acres of Agricultural Land that has a conservation easemen. They feed on these underwater bars, and this spot has been full of them. Today, Merced is the second-leading county in the nation for waterfowl bagged each year. Those willing to pay their dues on public areas can learn secrets of the grassland refuges. This means you have the option to read your magazine on most popular phones and tablets. Ducks are already dipping over the spread. You generally must travel some distance to get to your area. They've averaged approximately 4.2 birds per hunter the last few years. A couple of highballs brought the ducks our way, coming in low on James' side. So, I increase the odds on those non-mallard days. Ive crossed a trip off my waterfowling bucket listthough Id say my itch to hunt sea ducks has only gotten a little worse. 2,600 acres of well groomed and managed wetlands habitat. He moved with his family to the San Francisco Bay Area in California when he was 4 years old. Established in 1993, it has become a mecca for mallard hunters. From then on we witnessed an almost steady procession of ducks from near and far. Together, they provide a rich account of the recreation Great duck & geese hunting club. able to hunt weds, sat and sun. Otherwise, Mendota is strictly a roam area. Howev. Los Banos, California. Located in Los Banos, California The duck hunting season might end in January, but care of your retriever is a year-round project. Among modern hunters, the Eastern Shore is best known for goose hunting, as Atlantic Flyway Canadas winter here by the thousands. Gadwall is a free-roam area, yet it has numerous blinds on it from the former private club. Dennis is the president of the Grassland Resource Conservation District and the Stillbow Duck Club, which has a long history of waterfowl tradition and waterfowl characters. All Rights Reserved. S-22 Drakes-N-Paynes 16 AC. Obviously you need not be so rushed when hunting a pre-assigned blind; however, if you are hunting a roam area, be ready before you go through the check line. When legal shooting time came to an end, I had five ducks. Pistolas & more. Just that quick we had a pair of greenheads down and things were looking up! Hunting Mentors & New Hunters. sorry I can not cover it more but I suck at writing, let me know if you would like for me to take a look at it and give you my opinion. He pays no attention to Michelle as she sits up and deliberately shoulders her gun. Mendota refuge has an area called Tent City, which allows the leaving of unattended trailers and campers for the entire hunting season. Los Banos CC Owner/CEO& CHEF Bristol Bay Advenures 1996 - Present 27 years. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. The Country Duck changes out-dated furniture into "Show-stoppers" I love boats, big water, longline decoys, and divers that come in low and fast. JavaScript is disabled. As I huddled deeper into my rain gear, I pondered my decision to hunt. Address: 1416 9th Street 12th Floor Sacramento, CA 95814 Phone Number: (916) 445-0411 Website: https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting California Hunter Safety Course Hunter safety courses are required in most states in order to purchase a hunting license. Then, too, some of the parking lots have vehicle quotas, so preparation is important. Hi everyone, with the upcoming waterfowl season I've begun looking at leasing a 2 man blind up in Los Banos. This collection also includes some ecological studies on Chesapeake wetlands. #1 An acquaintance of mine called and wants me to split a spot in a club with him. Mendota is split by Fresno Slough where hunting from a boat is allowed. As Boomer, my Chessie, delivered the shoveler to James, we spotted a threesome of mallards in front, fighting their way into the wind. One membership to the Lonesome Mallard Duck Club located at 7861 Coral Road South, Los Banos, CA 93635.Membership involves 130 30 memberships total ownership of 685 acres of land which includes a member clubhouse, a bunkhouse and a RV park. So clear your At the peak of the market-hunting era, waterfowlers Cameron Freshour was hunting with his wife on Sign up for the Field & Stream newsletter and get the latest intelligence straight to your inbox. The Club is located on Britto Road, 8 miles east of Los Banos, California (3.1 miles south of Highway 152). What is the going rate for a spot? Chili's Grill & Bar - 1905 E Pacheco Blvd, Los Banos . Just south of Freitas and east of Highway 165 is the West Bear Creek Unit. A barrage of calling rang out across the marsh, followed by numerous shots, yet we had neither seen nor heard a duck. Operation Eagle Claw, the mission that failed. More Info. A first-hand look and field test with the new HydroFoam diver decoys from Heyday Outdoor. Joined Aug 26, 2013 . Fresh Fill w/Juice It Up! N-38 Tir o Alt o Properties 169 AC. Southwest of Corinne at the Chesapeake Duck Club, established in 1903, Ducks Unlimited and volunteers from the club set about wetland restoration work one early July morning. Looking for blind lease north grasslands. But with a little time and effort invested on the grasslands, anyone can enjoy some of the finest waterfowling Central California has to offer. EIN: 87-0326126; . Pistolas & more. We welcome any feedback on how we can improve LoopNet to better serve your needs. S-94 Dyer 62 AC. Will Brantley Just $1 per month , A rough, open-water sea duck hunt in Chesapeake Bay proves to be an action-packed adventure, By Youre going to shoot mostly oldsquaw, but expect to see some scoters, too, he says. An acquaintance of mine called and wants me to split a spot in a club with him. Shooting days are Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday throughout the CA waterfowl `balance of state` season. Its too rough out here to hit much else.. The Duck Hunter's Special includes eggs, meat, hash browns, a biscuit and gravy, and toast. N-36 Reeves Lake Land Co., Inc. 515 AC. Suddenly, a group of ducks appeared to our left in the early morning gloom. Four refuges have blinds reserved for mobility-restricted hunters. Editor-in-Chief Skip Knowles is with Beth Shimanski from Savage Arms to get a look at this reliable, soft kicking shotgun. There are 30 blinds, most of which consists of two one person cement tubes on islands located in various ponds on the property. When someone suggests to me that camo isnt appropriate attire, I suggest that they mind their own business. Articles may contain affiliate links which enable us to share in the revenue of any purchases made. Prime location on the Pacific-Flyway for migratory waterfowl. Mountain Mike's Pizza - 2260 E Pacheco Blvd Ste A & B. What is the going rate for a spot? Who is the club manager you spoke with? JavaScript is disabled. Green-winged teal--the most common species in the area--rocket down a channel of a grasslands refuge. I've tried the folding ones made of canvas and aluminum and homemade ones made from plastic and wood. Parking area provides a short dry walk to any of the blinds. Hunting regulations for sea ducks are typically set independently of those for other duck species, but because the sport is so specialized, hunting accounts for very little sea duck mortality. This is what I think: October 1, 2021 - Price reduced to $220,000. San Luis has a devoted group of mallard hunters, although good numbers of all species of duck and geese can be found there. The property is situated on the East side of Mercy Springs Road approximately mile North of Henry Miller Road, Los Banos, California, Mercey Springs Road , Los Banos, CA 93635. On Merced, all hunting is done from assigned blinds. The main focus of the forum was to help out others in the pursuit of big game, waterfowl, upland hunting and all of the travel and experiences that come with an outdoors lifestyle. er, unless you plan to shoot mallards only, have a mixture of birds represented in your spread. Hook Up Here. Lots of great info. level with creative use of layout blinds. Miscellaneous materials; Chesapeake Duck Club, Plaintiff vs. Milt Barber, Defendant, In the District Court of Box Elder County, State of Utah (1960s), Utah Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit Project Digest (undated), newspaper clippings (1963-1964) 1960-1969: Names and Subjects Return to Top. We can also bring a guest with us as long as there is one person from the lease there (Maximum of 2 people in the blind so one of the lease holder could not be there as long as the other is there with a guest). conditions of the Utah wetlands from 1950 to the mid 1970s. Legal shooting time was 6:50 a.m. As it drew near, we both began to doubt James' choice of blinds. Central California's large refuges offer quality public. Radcliffe laughs nervously. Copyright Jesse's Hunting & Outdoors L.L.C. A variety of carts are used, including large rickshaw types and golf carts. I had things to do that morning, so when I got to the San Joaquin Valley, I went directly to Los Banos Refuge and got in line for an opening. I didn't get to the refuge that Saturday until midday because of holiday duties. Today, I carry a five-gallon plastic bucket in my decoy bag. PDF. Located within the boundaries of Grassland Water District and receives its water only when available. A short drive west of Los Banos is the Volta Refuge, a 3,000-acre refuge that consistently ranks near the top in number of birds taken per hunter. Kesterson does not allow roam hunting, but instead has 32 blinds. There are large ponds dotted with tule patches, narrow meandering sloughs and a mixture of both--creating a very ducky marshland. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. The club was originally formed around the 1900s by Henry Miller Bowles and a Dr. Stills, thus the name "Stillbow." Thanks very much. If you're interested or know someone who might be interested send me a message or comment below. Special Collections and Archives. Mud Slough is unique in that it is a junior hunter refuge only. S-26 Sunset Gun Club 182 AC . South of Kesterson on the west side of Highway 165 from San Luis is the Blue Goose Refuge. My six teal decoys fit in it and the rest of my blocks stack around and on top of it. There are also five "stake" blinds where hunters are allowed to hunt within 100 yards of numbered posts. Juice Bar & Smoothies . is modeled after Kesterson, with assigned-blind hunting only--no roaming allowed. A barrage of calling rang out across the marsh, followed by numerous shots, yet we had neither seen nor heard a duck. The most prolific is the ringneck, and these speedsters coming in low over a tule patch can be in and gone before you can yell, "Teal?". as correspondence that shows members positive experiences with the club. We dont move. Join F&S+ to read exclusive stories by your favorite writers. Deer hunting waterfowl hunting Maryland's Eastern Shore! She fires once, and the duck is dead before it hits the water. S-12 Esgibago Land & Ca tle Co. 160 AC. It may not display this or other websites correctly. Adjacent to San Luis Refuge east of Highway 165 is Salt Slough. Well be watching from a couple hundred yards away.. 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. This former private duck club sits amidst other clubs and, though it has no other refuges in close proximity, it is in an excellent flyway. Take your duck decoy spread to the next level by mixing in some other species. The harvest is Teal, Mallard, Sprig, Wigeon, Gadwall, and more. And weve burned through most of a box of shells. Wildfowl's Skip Knowles and Shaundi Campbell of Browning are taking a look at the Browning Maxus 2 Wicked Wing in Vintage Camo. Suddenly a pod of pintails--with feet out--were in our face and then quickly flaring into the wind as we jumped to our feet. Ok, I will ask some more questions, These are the things I now so far. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service. The club remained in operation as of 2019. The author's Chessie "Boomer" peers over blind at San Luis Refuge. As I punched the trigger, I had a sickening feeling I had just shot a hen. We dont leave until its light enough to see, and the boat ride takes nearly an hour. Give a Gift I am looking to find another person to split the cost with. I always figured if you had to ask you could not afford it!!!! While I belong to a nearby private duck club, I elected to join James and try the refuge for a change of pace. Our clubs are located in Willows, Richvale, Biggs, Colusa and Los Banos. For decades, this property. One of the first families of the American West, the Fleishhackers, owned the club when it was only possible to reach the shooting grounds by train and wagon, and famed actor Clark Gable was a regular visitor. Los Banos Duck Club Jan 2013 - Present 10 years 4 months. S-93 St ev n Cr k 84 . Mud Slough is bordered on the south by Highway 152, affording easy auto access. I don't know nothing about ducks or hunting ducks but have been thinking about giving it a go. The club also provided club members with amenities such as lodging and food as well as hunting amenities including duck blinds. You can bet I've since chosen that particular blind a number of times. Upon leasing the blinds, he made promises, promises we would soon regret believing. Historically, this is pintail country, but since their decline and subsequent restrictions, they have become less a factor in bag numbers. The property is in Zone A-1, General Agriculture Zoning, situated in the West/Central portion of Merced County and is . The drake is 2 feet off the water, gliding our way at 15 yards. Dennis is the president of the Grassland Resource Conservation District and the Stillbow Duck Club, which has a long history of waterfowl tradition and waterfowl characters. Its best use is Hunting and Pasture. There are 30 blinds, most of which consists Shooting days are Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday throughout the CA waterfowl 'balance of state' season. All Rights Reserved. You must log in or register to reply here. Oct 26, 2010. I am retired and replying for fun. We have four boxes of Black Cloud between us, and I nod yes. With the birds slipping and sliding with the wind, their positions were constantly changing. There are many private clubs in the surrounding area known for its abundance of waterfowl. Published Dec 11, 2017 5:14 PM EST, A spray of 35-degree saltwater hits me in the face every three seconds. James had called me earlier in the week to say he had the number one draw at Los Banos refuge for Wednesday the 4th and asked if I would like to join him. Duck Club 460 AC. And they knock the crap out of the ducks and geese.. Two of the handsome drakes stayed with us. The "spoonie" was resplendent in color but not what we had in mind to shoot that early in the day. Running that far in winter, then settling into a layout boat for the hunt, is dangerous. There are 3 in ground double barrel blinds, one single barrel blind with dry walk out and 2 stand up blinds. They took to boats, surveyed nesting sites and looked for more efficient ways to move water through the marshes, and ultimately to help the ailing Great Salt Lake. It currently operates as an LLC, with two (2) member/owners (50% undivided interest). But I do love the retro look of Averys new Heritage clothing. Suddenly, a group of ducks appeared to our left in the early morning gloom. He tries to only hunt small hidden holes in thick tule patches.