Any information you provide to Cake, and all communications between you and Cake, You have given me a lot to think about with the kind words you included in your recommendation. You should also expect that your teacher will inform you that the university computers are there, available for you to use. When all else fails, be honest. Those reasons could be: You were admitted to a hospital. This is to help you understand some ways to entice your professor to open your email. I appreciate your time. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. About The Helpful Professor If youre going to use this extension excuse, evidence is a must. You also must think about how you can provide clear evidence that this death did, in fact, happen. So remember, be concise and direct in getting the point of your thanks. So, I would never advise that you make-up an excuse to get an extension or exaggerate your circumstances. Here is where youll give some more specific details about why youre thanking your professor. Assess the nature of your situation and consider how long you need to complete the assignment. Then let's begin. Teachers hate when a student comes to them with an obvious lie like: These are time-tested lies that we get all the time. Whether you want to send a quick, easy thank-you or invest the time or money to give your professor or instructor a virtual pat . When discussing how to address a professor in an email, we're talking about the tone of voice and getting that right can be tricky. An effective thank you email for an extension to a professor always starts with a good subject line that grasps the attention of professors at first look. [6] 3 Email to ask your professor about an extension. Severe illness - We arent talking about a little cough and a few sniffles, but a serious illness. So has your professor. Why? Weve also included some samples for reference. Please let me know how you would like to proceed. A little secret: teachers hate group work assignments, too. This article breaks down the process of writing request emails for information, documents, contact details, favors and more. However, you should also make yourself known to your teacher at the start of the semester. I have the obituary attached to this email to provide you with some documentation. You have helped me understand some of the things I wasnt getting. This link will open in a new window. Check Circle. Do not forget that a letter to your professor is a formal letter so sign off appropriately. You may be thanking your professor for helping you through some hard times. 1. I hope this message finds you well! Physical health: injuries, ailments, as well as chronic health conditions, Mental health: anxiety, depression, and other ongoing or long-term mental health conditions, serious illness or death of a family member, guardian, or significant person in your life, Financial hardship: recent loss of employment, adverse changes to your financial aid package, or sudden financial instability, Unforeseen circumstances: family emergencies, caring for dependents unexpectedly, and environmental disasters, requiring special educational accommodations or, Important obligations: Asking for an extension due to pre-existing obligations is best done in advance; some reasons include, athletic or academic commitments, an important surgery, or pregnancy, Less urgent but honest reasons for an extension. Also, you and your professor can create a new plan, while reducing miscommunication between both parties. Students should avoid pointless errors like not using any emojis, signs, or spam words. Many occasions come in student life during their institutional tenure when they need to write emails to professors concerning different subjects. For example, you could note how some study skills youve thought might help you out of this situation might be: Make sure you not only tell, but show your teacher youve tried hard, youve sought help, and youve identified solutions. 2. Explain to your teacher that youve thought up some study solutions that youll put in place during the week or so in which the extension would take place. Disability - If you have a documented disability, you might be able to get an extension. If your professor helped set you up with an internship, its worth thanking them. Sometimes we drop the ball. What you need to make this excuse work is a paper trail showing evidence that you pulled your weight. How to Write a Thank-You Email to a Professor (Examples) I have seen students homes be devastated by hurricanes and tornadoes. This reason for asking for an extension on a paper will probably be respected more than most. Start with appropriate greetings Open with a "thank you" List the main reason for your "thank you" message Go into specifics Be positive Be sincere Keep sentences short and clear Include one last "thank you" (if it fits) Close with appropriate salutations https://helpfulprofessor.com/author/admin/, Divided Attention: 10 Examples and Overview, Machiavellianism: 10 Examples and Definition, Overgeneralization: 10 Examples and Definition, 17 Gender Stereotype Examples (For Men and Women). Here are some examples of what a thank you letter might look like for a few different occasions. Email and Facebook chains of conversations; Completed drafts of sections that you were assigned. Your card will brighten what is likely an otherwise hectic day. Explain what you found most engaging in their lectures. ): >>>Related Post: 21+ Ways to Make Studying Fun>>> Related Post: 25+ Ways to Motivate yourself to Study. Finally, I want to thank you for your teaching style. It would be good for the students to be direct and descriptive in their emails while sending thank you emails for an extension to their professors. I dont think you realise how much it meant to me to see you write those things. I have a graduate degree. Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you soon. Shouldnt you just have finishing touches to do with 3 days to go? I have a wedding coming up that is taking a lot of planning. Thank you very much for your time. that has prevented you from completing on time. You sponsored my internship, and youve made it possible for me to turn my life around. I realize this may be an inconvenience, so please let me know if this adjustment is possible. Ive been really sick these past few days and havent been able to work on it at all. Your teacher might insist that you submit it before you head off on your vacation, or simply deny the extension. It is even better if you have accommodations through your college. The body of an email isthe actual text of the email students wrote for their professors. Im so thankful that you took the extra time to help me through some of the things I struggle with. You can still type your letter if your handwriting isnt the best. Be as polite as possible because your professor has a job to do too. If you have a mental illness and have had some recent issues related to your health, you might talk to your professor. Ive had difficulty with the Civil War research paper due to a scarcity of sources. Youve helped me to get my head around a few things I thought Id never understand. Dont fabricate a reason for being unable to meet a deadline, Dont minimize a potentially missed deadline, Dont offer an unrealistic new deadline, Request due to a serious or urgent reason, Stanzas in Poetry: Definition and Examples, The Complete Guide to Writing a Dissertation, How to Write a Narrative Essay in 5 Steps, 11 Types of Poetry to Know, With Examples, How to Make a Cover Page: APA and MLA Format. The best way to do this is to ask your student advisor or the course leader to give your teacher a heads-up on this one. When writing a thank you letter to a professor, address them directly. And if this is not enough to convince you that it's easier than you might think, we finish off by providing 22 sample emails to a professor! That personal touch will make your letter feel extra special. For information about opting out, click here. In these situations, an extension is less likely. Texts and emails are quick and effective ways to communicate. Thank you for taking todays class. Teachers dont always grant this one, so be prepared to be told that your extension is not granted. Work called me in for extra shifts and I really need the money. How to Ask Your Professor for an Extension on Assignment Your email should include: A respectful salutation including the professor's title and name The request for the extension with a firm date for you to turn in the assignment An explanation of the extenuating circumstances For this excuse to work, its best to provide evidence of three things: First, show you actually have put hours into the assessment. This may cause me to miss 1 or 2 classes or be late on some assignments. Heres how to do it in a way that increases your chances of getting what you need. Thanking a professor is quite simple, but you need to know the best ways to word your thank you email. If youve already managed to email the teacher a few times about the assignment, send your extension request as your final reply to that email chain of discussion. You can refer to the following list to see what you need to include: Below, weve included e-mail examples of how to write a thank-you email to a professor for different situations. - Solar Mike. Make sure they know that the course material is of the upmost importance to you. Writing, grammar, and communication tips for your inbox. Why? It would help if you made it more personal and relevant. We usually set them because we have to embed it into a degree as an employability skill. I just wanted to send a quick note to thank you for writing me a letter of recommendation. All articles are edited by a PhD level academic. Most universities these days assign student advisors to each student for support on issues like this. Ask for a shorter extension if possible. You know your instructor, so use language that feels appropriate to your situation and to your relationship with them. And I also know that sometimes, even when weve done everything possible, things come up and we cant help but need more time. Don't forget to customize and adjust these emails based on your own specific needs: Hello [Professor], I'm [Name], a student in your [Class Name] course. As with all our templates, use them as inspiration, and be sure to adapt them to your specific situation.. It has been researched that it is not good to use too many punctuation marks in the email body as it makes students emails unprofessional. A good teacher will teach you the information you need to learn to pass a class but a great teacher will teach you things that will enrich your life in the long run. But remember, if you dont ask, you deny yourself any opportunity for a necessary extension. First, I would like to apologize personally and explain why I have been unable to (insert what you need an excuse for). Consider the nature of your situation and propose a reasonable and timely alternative or two. As a side note, you can always include the extra thank you as your salutation at the end of the email. Hi there. Professors like myself get a lot of extension requests, so knowing how to ask in a way that will get your teacher to grant the extension is very important. Late Assignment Email: Examples and Professor escape Tips - LearnPar Please let me know if you need anything else. I am writing to request an extension on my upcoming paper due on Monday. Dear Professor Torres, This is Sam Tinsley and I am in your online Soc course. II would like to reassure you that this won't happen again. This can also work for makeup exams and assignments too. Your personal goal might be to have graduated by a certain date, before your child starts (or finishes) school, or in order to qualify for an internship in a Masters program that has an application deadline of a specific date. You are so understanding, and thats hard to come by. Finally, thank them for their time and understanding. I wanted to reach out and thank you for all the support you showed me last semester. Ask your instructor as early as possible. If you could have completed the assignment with adequate planning, dont ask your professor for an extension. Below are a few sample emails requesting a deadline extension from your professor. Its used too often and we expect that more often than not its a lie rather than a genuine problem. This shows that you are still committed to completing the work and not just looking for more time. I graduated, and its all thanks to you! Requests for a meeting. First, describe your intentions to your teacher. Even better, attach a note from your coach, employer or doctor who can attest to why you need an extension. Cake values integrity and transparency. A thank you email can be short, and the following examples will show you how that looks. Assure your professor that you'd do your best to finish on time and with excellency. Your latest draft to show youve not left it to the last minute. Classes can be busy, and a professor's time can be limited, so email is an ideal way to communicate with your Professor. First, describe your intentions to your teacher. Professors are professional people who will be used to traditional email etiquette. Wondering how to say thank you? Im suffering from an episode of anxiety/depression. >>> Related Post: How to Write an Essay at the Last Minute. Should you send a thank you email to a professor after being - Reddit Thank you so much! Thank you for everything you said. Keep it short and to the point No need to go into great detail about why you need the extension. This link will open in a new window. Ask early. Be truthful Professors can sense dishonesty, and they've already heard all the made-up stories from students over the years, so be honest. Here are 22 email to professor examples that should cover any scenario. With so much to do and not enough time, its easy to see why some students might need an extension on an assignment. You'll understand your relationship better than we do. This excuse works best if youve primed the teacher already with a few emails spaced out over the previous few weeks asking questions about whether youre on the right track. Give your best shot! Do not send your paper extension letter the night before the deadline. Youve given me a lot to think about and play around with. Start your email in a polite way. I'm thankful to you, Sir, for shaping my life and guiding me towards the light. I have experience teaching online and in-person. I appreciate you taking the time with me on this. Bring to the printed readings with highlighting and notes in the margins. And may get dozens of requests for an extension. Thank You Email to Professor - How to Write + Examples A professor discusses things like how to leave early and what professors think when you leave early. All the advice on this site is general in nature. Professor takes forever to grade (what to do), Do professors curve grades (written by one), Can you leave class early (professor explains how), Attendance in college (Professor explains), Bouncing back from a bad grade (easier than you think), Every question about MISSING an assignment answered by PROF. Whats the best way to say, thank you for your support to a professor you enjoyed? A college professor explains how students can bounce back from a bad grade or a bad semester. Im having computer issues. Heres another reason to ask your professor for an extension on a paper that gets a lot of sympathies. Use the following approaches to increase your chances for an extension. Its an unfortunate reality that sometimes our team members bring our work down and we cant do anything about it. Without you, I wouldnt have made it this far through the semester. I cant find a time when you wouldnt immediately get an extension granted. A student may need to request more time to complete a paper or project. But Ive also worked in the professional world (outside of education) too. August 28, 2022 by Sandra Hearth. Straightforward communication is key if youd like a more flexible deadline. Check Circle. This kind of letter is generally longer and more formal than a quick email. As students and teachers have a professional affiliation regarding edification that must be imitated in students emails to their professors. Then, tell them exactly what you are thanking them for, which you could split into two paragraphs if you have a lot to talk about. Professor X" or "Hello Mr. John Doe" works very well. . And you should follow your professors policies and not abuse their discretion. For so many of my classes, the reading lists cost hundreds of dollars. Beyond Grateful Simple Thank You Cards ($14.49), Thank You for Helping Me Grow Card ($5.99), Compass Thank You Card for Professor ($6.49), Personalized Monogrammed Stationery ($21.95), Greenery Decorative Printer Paper and Stationery ($10.99), Start and end with appropriate salutations. I am worried that I wouldnt do my best on the assignment, and would miss the opportunity to learn and apply the skills I have learned so far. Im sorry I couldnt get it to you sooner, but Im so thankful. Question about coursework. Sunday Worship 4-30-2023 | Vitaly Keller - Facebook How to Ask Your Professor for an Extension | Grammarly You really seem engaged with the material youre teaching, and that makes it more exciting for students. You always know the right things to say. >>>Related Post: Professor Reveals 21+ Excuses for Skipping Class. Ive accepted a range of evidence for this one, though. It also requires some advance warning. Like any professional email, thank you email to the professor follows a simple format. Youve done so much to help me get here. How To Ask For An Assignment Deadline Extension? An effective thank you email for an extension to a professor always starts with a good subject line that grasps the attention of professors at first look. Martin has been featured as an expert in communication and teaching on Forbes and Shopify. I have an email template below to help you write an excellent email to your professor asking for an extension. Professors can sense dishonesty, and theyve already heard all the made-up stories from students over the years, so be honest. Cards and Stationery to Pair with Your Message, Steps for Writing the Best Thank You Note for Your Professor, Sample Thank You Letters to Your Professor. Read more about Martin here. Read on to learn which ones to avoid and which to use! Henry Adams said, A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops. Please know that your influence on my life will affect me until the end of time. But sometimes meeting in person isnt possible: You attend school online, the professor is out of the office, or an unexpected situation has arisen. ). Connect Now. How to Ask Your Professor for an Extension by Email Let's start with a classical communication method with your professor - an email letter. When you request an extension, take a moment to acknowledge that your request may present an inconvenience and that you appreciate their time and help. Take some time to type or handwrite a letter to thank your professor for everything. Id recommend letting your teacher know in advance about your situation. The most common one is dyslexia. First, Go traditional: In today's technological world, handwritten notes may seem obsolete. I am writing to request an extension on the due date for my paper. I also appreciated the supplemental videos and notes you provided. Learn more about us here. But how do you write an email to a professor? Others are ones youll want to avoid. If you answered yes to all these questions, you probably shouldnt ask for an extension. Explain why you should get an extension as clearly as possible. Requesting an extension from your instructor or professor can be intimidating. If you want to get sympathy for this excuse, provide evidence. To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. I thought the assignment was due next week. Lisa. Thank you again. You had an emergency. Thank you for being the best. The last thing you want to do is to miss a deadline twice. Now, you might be wondering when professors are more likely to give an extension on an assignment. You can see 22 examples of how to address your emails and get to the point as soon as possible. I appreciate you. You can also buy assignment online from an assignment writing service. Professors are people with busy lives and professional responsibilities, so you may need to wait for a reply. When you write a thank you letter to a professor, there is a recommended structure to followed. There are many circumstances when students are required to write thank you emails to their teacher or professors, among which one is the Thanks you email for extension.