He did his job good, got along with people good. Jowers had worked for the sheriffs office for eight years, five of them as chief deputy. F. A debate about stolen valor has no upside for Sullivan, the best he can do with voters on this issue is fight it to a draw. To revisit this article, select My Account, thenView saved stories, To revisit this article, visit My Profile, then View saved stories. - Fayette County - Tuesday, Mar 29, 22 @ 10:20 am: The ad will play well in this part of Illinois but Bailey has a lot of support locked up already around here. A Montana countys battle shows how faith in public learning and public space is fraying. But not in defense of Sullivans specious claims about his own record. and we should value and thank those who have served our country, putting their own lives at risk doing so.. With the US Supreme Court about to finally rule against abortion, Illinois voters need to know where their politicians stand on the most important issue of our lives. Id give it a B for the target audience that wont see it if its been pulled. - Steve Rogers - Tuesday, Mar 29, 22 @ 9:55 am: =Other than showing that 6 sheriffs from counties most Illinoisans have never heard of=. - Ron Burgundy - Monday, May 9, 22 @ 1:22 pm: In a primary, and specifically your first run for anything, you need to be telling people who you are and not refuting who someone else says you are. - Buford - Tuesday, Mar 29, 22 @ 9:14 am: Seeing as they already removed it, must of not been great. My military doesnt have nothing to do with what Im doing for the county right now, he said. Ad Choices. . What year is it?) Last summer, Bart saw something odd at a nearby house. Jesse Sullivan Desperately Tries to Hide Baggage But Here's the Truth It is the 13th largest county in the state. - Paddyrollingstone - Thursday, Jan 27, 22 @ 12:09 pm: Getting some Jack! He said, A Silver Starthats, like, never given out, Amber told me. There is a saying in the Theater, Will it play in Peoria?. Williams: Do you support the mask mandates and the vaccine mandates? He added that he, like Foley, was an Airborne Ranger with combat wounds: I served my country, I took a bullet for my country. By day, he managed an apartment building in Pueblo, Colorado; in his spare time, he maintained lists of medal recipients and wrote eighty-one books, the majority about military history. Kristin Davison Returns to Illinois to Help Elect Jesse Sullivan Ask active military, civilian DoD, and a contractor when all three are sitting at the same table. Schimpf was initially reluctant to say anything about Sullivan, but eventually issued this response: Although Jesse Sullivan, who is not a veteran and has never been on active duty, should be commended for having worked in Afghanistan as a civilian contractor, his claim to have led combat patrols flies in the face of Department of Defense regulations and established practices. Republican candidate for governor Jesse Sullivan stands in a soybean field and points to his home in Petersburg, Illinois, in a campaign video. Made with by creatives with a conscience. To Bart, it seemed obvious that Foley didnt live there but was merely using it as a place to switch out his vehicle after work. - Red Ranger - Monday, May 9, 22 @ 11:52 am: If youre explaining, youre losing. - Proud Papa Bear - Tuesday, Mar 29, 22 @ 9:17 am: C. Its hard to spice up bland. Cyril Pelkey. But one thing I learned from that experience was that many if not most are also civilian police. Sterner, who returned from Vietnam with two Bronze Stars, learned how to navigate the military-records system while compiling a database of people whod been given the Medal of Honor, the nations highest military award. Throwing the guard at addressing violent crime is a recipe for disaster (recall Kent State). - Red Ketcher - Tuesday, Mar 29, 22 @ 10:56 am: 47th Ward at 10:08 above Says It All,Says it Well. The Facebook page for the Clyde Police Department was soon flooded with comments from angry people across the country: Hey Clyde PD, you have a POS Poser in your midst; Leroy Grant Foley those brand new cuff links will look good on you. Foley was placed on administrative leave. Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar Jesse Sullivan hires 2019 valor thieves; Ken Woerheide . - Pot calling kettle - Thursday, Jan 27, 22 @ 2:18 pm: Come on down to Sullivans. Illinois needs a new Director at DCFS. Schimpf was born on an Air Force base in the Metro East, graduated from Annapolis Naval Academy, then graduated from law school and served 20 years in the US Marines, serving as the chief American adviser to prosecutors in Saddam Husseins trial. - Steve Polite - Thursday, Jan 27, 22 @ 12:00 pm: For a pretend soldier he doesnt know his history very well.. Veterans from across the state also published an open letter this morning, saying, Every veteran who served in combat served alongside Department of Defense civilians. - Annonin' - Thursday, Jan 27, 22 @ 6:13 pm: NG units are trained for specific tasks. Well do a FOIA, and were very specific about the information we ask forwhat units they may have been in, what awards they couldve had, the time they served, what their discharge rank was, and their combat history., Ed Caffrey began following stolen-valor Web sites when he was on active duty in the Air Force. - City Guy - Tuesday, Mar 29, 22 @ 12:16 pm: F for the potential fall out. They amass millions of views and are re-aired on Fox News and on the program Tosh.0. They tend to follow a standard template: the accuser confronts a suspicious stranger in uniform in a big-box store or a mall food court, barraging him (or, rarely, her) with questions about where and when he served. The guy would usually be polite, but the interactions felt more like interrogations than like conversations. Someone you could actually call and feel comfortable about it, said Marcia Shumway, a local stay-at-home mom and home-school teacher, who, with her husband, Paul, supported Jowers in the race. Sullivan would be a great choice as his experience lends itself to faith, protection and service to those in need. He lied till the end, Shumway said. Heres the script for the only ad you should be running: I grew up in Central Illinois and those are the values that Ill always uphold. You cant use law enforcement officers in their uniforms, in their cars, in a political campaign ad. - Downstate Dem - Tuesday, Mar 29, 22 @ 10:14 am: From the 2022 Illinois Candidates Guide: INFLUENCING VOTERS WITH PUBLIC FUNDS Privacy Policy. And he said, There are places out there that will research things like this., On January 13th, Amber filled out a form on Military Phonies, one of a number of Web sites dedicated to exposing people who invent or inflate their military service. Sullivan has managed to make a big splash in the Republican primary. It will be interesting to see if Davison can help Sullivan's campaign. Theyve got your back, but whos got your video? - Mcin33 - Wednesday, May 18, 22 @ 9:31 pm: My lord. Now, with just days to go, he's trying anything he can to grab voters' attention in a last-minute hail mary. Bart is a deliberate man with a long, wiry beard. When Bart went to introduce himself to his new neighbors, no one answered the door. - Thursday, Jan 27, 22 @ 1:11 pm: - lenoard - Thursday, Jan 27, 22 @ 1:22 pm: I have an idea take all the republican candidates fo r Governor put them in a sack shake it up really good. The Irvin lies/cant be trusted line could work, if he had about $10-$15 million to burn it home, although that would likely just benefit Bailey. Is that right? The Oddballs and Odysseys of Charles Portis. What he actually means: I think they are unRepublican.. Burkett caught so many people distorting or inventing their military service that he wondered whether the dissemblers might be evidence of a national phenomenon, a weird ripple in the American psyche. By 1989, Burkett was averaging one FOIA request a day. If the blackout lasts into the regular season, Comcast subscribers also wouldnt have access to NFL Red Zone. *** UPDATED x1 *** Rate Jesse Sullivans response ad to Richard Irvins attack spot, Multiple dead, more than 30 hospitalized after blowing dust leads to accidents on I-55. Then she decided to try to get the legislation passed. John Williams: You, on your website, use the National Guard a lot. Can you identify this man for me? Sterner peered at the image. - Ron Burgundy - Monday, May 9, 22 @ 1:33 pm: To add, of course Sullivans attempt to introduce himself - and overplaying it - left him wide open for an attack like this from an opponent with the credentials to make it. ===. I would give it a A, in that if is very focused on a key element of Republican Politics, and tugs at the hearts of the fearful. Richard Irvin wont say where he stands on this issue. Grifters lie about being war heroes, then steal money from women they meet on dating sites. - Sir Reel - Thursday, Jan 27, 22 @ 1:09 pm: And then a candidate takes a hard right on the way to the Republican primary. He set up Google news alerts for key phrases: prisoner of war, Navy Cross. I started coming across these guys putting themselves in local media as heroes, Caffrey told me. Fire up the bluesmobile, Jake. Sullivans campaign pushed back hard on the out-of-state angle, insisting he was a Petersburg guy who had made lots of influential business friends in California and other states. Adding Check out the front license plate on the car on the far left. Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar Jesse Sullivan said he Is it the every man for himself, arms-a-gettin, vigilante, frontier strain? Also, ibid on the whole ethics of cops play-acting in uniform in a political ad. (His best-sellers are not about war, however. I cant think of anyone using that phrase other than in context of being a police officer. - Demoralized - Thursday, Jan 27, 22 @ 11:18 am: Correction - We do have mandates for certain state workers in congregate care settings. Very good ad for stoking GOP base obsession with police and crime. - The Dude Abides - Monday, May 9, 22 @ 12:32 pm: @47th Ward The Pro Life message will help him in the Primary but hurt him in the Federal should he secure the nomination. Its mandatory. The Stolen Valor Act of 2005, written in part by Pam Sterner, was introduced the year that millions of filmgoers watched Wedding Crashers, in which Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilsons characters lie about being Purple Heart recipients. When a woman wrote to Sterner insisting that her husband be added to his Medal of Honor database, Cottone asked Sterner to pretend to believe her. Im Jesse Sullivan. - 47th Ward - Tuesday, Mar 29, 22 @ 10:08 am: It always creeps me out when evangelicals go into to politics to save us. However, they are answerable to their constituents. Because I think most peoples first instinct is that calling into question someones service is rather icky. The New Yorker may earn a portion of sales from products that are purchased through our site as part of our Affiliate Partnerships with retailers.