MS: We went to Chinatown in Chicago, Im like Im going up this side of the street, youre going up that side. Before coming to Penn, where he received a Provost's teaching award in 2005, Hendrickson worked as a staff feature writer at The Washington Post from 1977 to 2001. Its not crooked or straight, but sways with the pulse of music and breaks as bodies cut in. Wed go to the grocery store and we had a cooler in the back: It was almost all cheese and bread. Before he leaves the deckhe has to get back to his girlfriend and the life of a 32-year-old adulthe tells me and Sam that he can see that we love each other and that it makes him happy to see. Get our newsletter, The Daily . The Asian American Studies Program will welcome three new core faculty members next year, expanding the range of topics and classes the program offers. Id never done a project that had this kind of depth and kind of length to it. AJ: It got me so excited to do more of this stuff. But these dont earn a spot on the title page. I started interviewing him about his job and it ended up being my favorite story of the entire trip. Fernandos was one of several interviews that Jinich conducted in Spanish, his first language. It also made me more interested in concepts around solutions-based journalism and the limitations that storytelling has in some ways. They went into every shop on Main Street, but couldnt find anyone their age to interview. Penn's Creative Writing Program will host an honors thesis reading event on April 27 to celebrate the graduating seniors in the 2022 honors program. They went to many small towns, but also to several cities. They just captured my interest, Peiss said. Was it an omen? Strickberger is an English major with a concentration in creative writing and Jinich a neuroscience major and English minor. Students engaged closely with Hendrickson on topics until they landed on one that really resonated. Her job went remote, she realized I can take my entire life and move somewhere else. But he still expressed so much gratitude for not being in the place that a lot of older folks were. What it means. And then just trial and error. They spoke with a few skeptical construction workers on Main Street and decided to move on to the next town, but then they passed a sign for a dairy farm. In 2021, he took a leave from Penn, during which he worked on the PBS primetime docu-series La Frontera as a photographer, and began driving across the country with his roommate, writer Max Strickberger, to interview young people about how they felt about the pandemic and the future. The room is exactly as I remembered, except now its filled with Canadian sports memorabilia, posters, and hats. JBP: What was your sustenance on the road? He is the author of numerous books, the . Elyssa Chou, Blueprint. It had the most amazing weather. On the heels of his retirement as head basketball coach at Jefferson University, this retrospective of local basketball legend and Hall of Famer Herb Magee. We read it and realized that is exactly what we wanted to emulate, Strickberger says. For Lily Stein, C'22, Alan Jinich, C'22, and their classmates, it wasn't merely an academic experience, but a deeply personal one. A jar of marmalade was lost. MS: For some reason, every time we turned on the car, the same song [the hypnotic Tubesocks] on Alans phone would play automatically. The first week was loosely planned, and the rest unfolded as they went along. Ashley Hoffman will deliver your Sunday Newsletter as always and Ill be back Monday to kickoff a new week. AJ: Im more of a music guy and Max is more of a podcast/audio book guy. NFL Draft: 2023 Vikings undrafted free agent tracker READ MORE: Penn receives record $125 million to offer free tuition to nurse practitioners to work in underserved communities, I thought it was a great idea, Egan said of the project, such a creative way of responding to a disruption of the education they were merrily rolling along with. But somehow, someway, something links yall because yall from here. Alan Jinich, Ants [composite] Elyssa Chou, Voronoi. We are excited to share the press release below: Jinich is a Penn Senior majoring in Neuroscience and English, who worked in a variety of labs as well as in several editorial settings, as writer, photographer and designer at Penn Appetit and as a production assistant and photographer for the James Beard-award-winning PBS show Patis Mexican Table. In 2021, he and a classmate took a leave from Penn to spend six months driving cross-country, interviewing more than 80 young adults in cities large and small, and creating the fascinating online Generation Pandemic Project, a portion of which was recently published in the Washington Post, and featured in the Philadelphia Inquirer and on NPRs Radio Times and Smart Talk. Think you know? Buy Volunteers Tickets. Both, in the College of Arts and Sciences, are back on campus this fall for their senior year. 2400 Market Street Offsite Suite 269 Philadelphia, PA 19103. So trying to introduce some humor into the situation helped. It felt really good when we could get people to speak with us, because every time we got to a new town, it was just like: restart, Strickberger says. Awarded to the best original poetry by a graduate student. Winner: Alan Jinich, "'You never get that smell off your clothes.'" Second Place: Pamela De La Cruz, "Sheltering Hope at a Violent Border for Migrants" Third Place: Sophia DeGrands, "Higher Thinking" Department of English Along the way, they met Fernando, 21, who fell on hard times when his Chicago fruit stand was shut down, until he found another business: traveling to Mexico to buy puppies and re-selling them in the United States for a profit. Alan Jinich couldn't take it anymore: sitting at a desk in his rented residence, taking his online courses at the University of Pennsylvania. I listen, and later, I dont attempt to transcribe the call as I did for the other residents I interviewed. All rights reserved. And I think being rejected was inherent to the project and got us much more comfortable with it. And Im proud of what they've been able to achieve, he says. Department of English Pati is fond of her sons and has an endearing way of calling . Both Strickberger, 23, and Jinich, 22, got vaccinated before they left but they were heading to states where masking and vaccination were not prevalent. He calls it his folder of important documents and it also happens to contain his medical license and the title to his car. Arfaa, whose grandfather was once highly connected at Annenberg, used storytelling to create a portrait of the Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts. Alan is very, very steady. Kerith Gabriel (@sprtswtr, morningnewsletter@inquirer.com). . Vivian Ramirez on LinkedIn: A generation shaped by a pandemic | Penn Today I dont really feel threatened by students here. 2023 Penn Today, University of Pennsylvania, Senior Max Strickberger, co-creator of Generation Pandemic, Senior Alan Jinich, co-creator of Generation Pandemic, The pandemic, health inequities, and an opportunity for change, What the U.S. economy will look like after the pandemic, English professor J.C. Cloutiers latest book sheds new light on African American literature, Studying novels with novelist Jennifer Egan, A sensational Hey Day for the Class of 2024, Green solutions are transforming a West Philadelphia grade school, Arts, Humanities, Theyre combining forces to try to understand and diagnose a moment in time for a certain generation. Towards the end we were able to say Weve spoken with 70 people and weve traveled to 20 states and wed love to include you, Jinich says. . The first day they made it to Chattanooga, Tennessee and conducted their first three interviews, prearranged through a friend from Penn. I get it.. But going into it, it was all very open. MS: I think it also helped to just point out that it was a weird situation. Kathy Peiss is the Roy F. and Jeannette P. Nichols Professor of American History in the School of Arts & Sciences. Early on they decided not to seek out interviews with people who were full-time college students like themselves, and instead looked for people who represented other experiences. But they didnt want to be interviewed. View the profiles of people named Alan Jinich. It probably was more worthwhile dont tell Penn than a semester online, said Deborah Miller, Strickbergers mother, a former television producer. In all, the pair conducted more than 80 interviews, which spawned the creation of their website, Generation Pandemic, an oral history archive that they hope to expand and eventually turn into a podcast series. Thats what I have for you this week. Im thinking of Adrian. Generation Pandemic, an oral history archive undertaken by Penn English major Max Strickberger and Penn English minor Alan Jinich, featured in Penn Today. Harrison Dorm. And now they gotta learn some shit. So I come to a club with a whole bunch of college kids who are fresh outta their parents cribs, have had zero time to rectify all the trauma that theyve been through, and theyre trying to figure out how to be an adult, pay for college. I love it. With support from grants and the Netter Center, the Andrew Hamilton School in Cobbs Creek is now home to a food forest and a thriving garden, providing healthy produce, green space, stormwater management, and educational opportunities. Jazz or folk would be playing in the background, the five of us nestled into plush chairs in the faculty lounge of the English building. The fields flooded again in May of 2020, but those baseball and softball seasons had been canceled due to . He also balanced creative writing and longform nonfiction classes with his studies in neuroscience including his work at the Cullen Lab at Penn researching brain cell histology and traumatic brain injury. When there was no longer space in the world for us, we had to make our mark somehow. MS: There were also themes of empathy and gratitude. But I know well be back standing on this deck one day, me and Sam. In chicken-scratch handwriting, he has written Scroll at the top of the folder, followed by Birth certificate, then Social underlined. I'm an editor passionate about amplifying the stories that emerge from the city that raised me. The state-controlled parking authority has had notable financial turbulence in recent months, perhaps the two biggest being: Airport officials taking the power from the PPA over control of its long- and short-term parking, a contract the PPA managed for nearly 50 years, and. For the student to come to terms with this in a long-form project pays dividends they dont even realize at the time.. I see in them a kind of pioneering drive, to want to do something in the world, to immerse yourself in that experience, and to kind of shake off your own comforts or your own kind of prescribed path.. He's also interested in GIS Mapping and quantitative image analysis. And that wasnt just like a class piece; it was very much an age-related commentary on whats going on now. Throwing your hands in the air, losing yourself in a moment, the music. Peiss says she chose readings to help them think about how to position themselves as interviewers, how to relate to new people and places, and how to deal with their own assumptions. Strickberger's thesis is based on the project "Generation Pandemic," which he started alongside senior Alan Jinich in fall 2020. March 28, 2022. The result is Generation Pandemic, a stunning online archive of oral histories and photographs that screams to be turned into a National Geographic spread, a Discovery Channel documentary, the foundation for an updated take on Arnetts theories. Their kids call him Uncle Fried. When Penn student Alan Jinich finally decided he couldn't take one more day of sitting inside his rented house taking virtual classes, he came up with quite the solution. They share some of the stories, photos and audio interviews on their website, Generation Pandemic, an oral history archive that they hope to expand and eventually turn into a podcast series. Or, if you ask Max Strickberger (C '22) and Alan Jinich (C '22), the word of a generation. AJ: When I was driving, I needed something to keep me awake! By signing up for a basic membership, we agree to never give or sell your information to any third party. GDS alum Alan Jinich '17 has won the 2022 Nora Magid Mentorship Prize along with Penn classmate Beatrice Forman. Hendrickson, Senior Lecturer in the Department of English, is a veteran author and journalist. Meek Mill has a song called Oodles O Noodles Babies. Sam lying in bed surrounded by her collected and carefully-sourced antiquities. There is a theory in the field of developmental psychology, popularized by . Alan Jinich '17 wins Nora Magid Mentorship Prize | Story One of their next stops was Greensboro, a small city in Alabama. And Im a big history guy. Deveraux visited Penn Museum to study the complicated legacy of the photographic genius of Edward Curtis, the premier photographer and ethnologist of indigenous Americans in the early part of the 20th century. The prom was one of dozens of unexpected experiences shared by seniors Max Strickberger and Alan Jinichbest friends and Penn roommates who grew up on the same street in Chevy Chase, Marylandduring their journalistic endeavor. Max Strickberger: When we started the trip, we had been inside the same four walls with each other and wed felt that there was so much going on in the world but we were just reading about it on our phones. Contest judge: Rachel Zolf. Nasir poses in front of the West & Down nightclub, where he used to be a bouncer. The Creative Writing Program is pleased to announce this year's winners. Do you think Penn feels like Philly? I ask. Five former Vols were selected in the 2023 NFL draft. But it also just feels like the start of a study on our generation. From midnight to 8am she pays bills, watches movies, writes goals, manifestations, to-dos, lists of people she would invite to her future wedding and people she would break money to if she ever won the lottery. They were willing to super put everything on pause and take a leave of absence, which I think was gutsy, said Jinich, a chef. RELATED: New book spotlights tattooed Philly women sharing stories of trauma. Jean-Christophe Cloutier is an associate professor of English and Comparative Literature and Undergraduate Chair of Penns English Department in the School of Arts & Sciences. Gallery. A lot of granola bars. Hey everyone! He takes his job seriouslysafeguarding The Scroll and carrying it with him through medical school, through various moves, through travels. They want to revisit people they interviewed and look for new subjects in other towns and cities. Thats when they began to plot something they found much more meaningful a journey across America, from rural towns to cities, from the deep South to the Midwest, to interview a diverse group, mostly ages 18 to 25, on how the pandemic had impacted their lives. Mullins took a deep dive into the life and teaching career of Richard Polman, Maury Povich Writer in Residence in the Center for Creative Writing at Penn, whose class Mullins had earlier taken, and who is responsible for Mullinss pivot toward a possible career in journalism. During the spring of 2021, Alan Jinich and Max Strickberger conducted over 80 interviews with 18-25 year olds, meeting people across 16 states and . Photography by Alan Jinich . His stepover of Tyronn Lue in the NBA Finals against the Lakers. Illinois @IlliniFootball nose tackle Calvin Avery (6-2, 325, 31 reps, 30 1/2 inch vertical) is signing with the #Vikings, per a league source, as an undrafted free agent.Visited #Vikings before draft after visiting #Seahawks @KPRC2 per a league source Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) April 29, 2023 Avery visited the Vikings on a top 30 visit. This is already such a precarious time in our lives, now exacerbated by the pandemic, and we wanted to capture a segment of what that would be like for other Americans our age, Strickberger says. Maeve upstairs with a canvas photograph of planet Earth larger than her modest, sparsely decorated room. After stopping at a little caf for directions they found the farm, and two young people outside, who turned out to be Tyler and Jay Dalton. I love tradition. Jinich opened the trunk to finish packing and some food came pouring out. 68 overall), Hendon Hooker, quarterback, Detroit Lions. March 22, 2022. She had arrived two hours earlier for her midnight shift and stood out with her sparkly headband warmer. Round 3 (No. Curtis photographs had a big impact on Deverauxs mother, which made the project even more meaningful. I study neuroscience and Ive been undecided as to what I want to do after school, and now Im considering work that involves writing and interviews., The same is true for Strickberger. Who knows how this will percolate in the long run for them: exhibitions, photographs, maybe works of non-fiction down the road? MS: Ive always loved stories. Harrison Auditorium, Penn Museum, 3260 South St. Though he is a neuroscience major with an English minor, Jinich, who took the photos, found the journey so fulfilling, hes interested in pursuing similar work as a career. I cant just pull up on my cousins.. 2022/03/15. AJ: We saw different sides of each other. I came to Penn after spending a gap year studying Jewish Diaspora history abroad. . Hes the EMT who wants to become a firefighter. I found I really love this work, says Jinich. And later they invited us to the high school prom, because everyone in the town goes to the prommoms, dads, aunts, uncles, everybody, Jinich says. Theres even a TV. It reframed the way I interact with people back at school.. I dont send Alan stories and quotes when I think back to our trip; I send him pictures that pop up on my phone that he took. Recurring membership charges will reflect the stated price of basic membership or Super Citizen membership at time of renewal. Once we sat down, the interview went on for hours. Theres a certain culture with being raised here. Charlie Oshinsky is the keeper of The Scroll. And, Scott Petri, the executive director of the PPA, has abruptly been removed from his role effective today amid a turbulent time for the citys parking authority. By the end of it, Tyler and Jay introduced us to their whole family.. It made me think What are other ways that can provide direct service to communities that storytelling bumps up against or needs another push beyond? It felt like it had more weight to it, and felt like an accomplishment.. And some of those stories were some of the best ones that we got. It probably was more worthwhile dont tell Penn than a semester online, said Deborah Miller, Strickbergers mother, a former television producer. Theres many commonalities, but mostly differences. We didnt come in with a list of questions. Alan Jinich, Max Strickberger. 73 overall), Jalin Hyatt, wide receiver, New York Giants. My name is Alan and I hail from the Maryland outskirts of DC. Senior Alan Jinich, co-creator of Generation Pandemic. Schools and centers across campus will offer special opportunities to engage with activities and programs geared toward kids ages 9-15. And Max really pushed me because he was the one who really had the guts in the beginning to go up to people and approach strangers. Jinich and Strickbergerchildhood friends who grew up on the same block in Chevy Chase, MDsat down at their shared apartment in West Philly to talk about the experiences of young people during the pandemic, how rejection has made them stronger, and their go-to roadtrip snacks. When COVID-19 hit, these Penn students got creative, Scott Petri is out at the Philadelphia Parking Authority. Copyright 2023 The Philadelphia Citizen. Alan Jinich, Untitled [composite] Chelsea Cheng, Yu. Today we highlight the adventures of two Penn students who took off on a multistate trek to chronicle COVID-19s human cost. | Penn CURF An oil painting by 19th-century French artist Gustave Courbet that was found in the School of Dental Medicines storage is now on view at the Arthur Ross Gallery. Maybe its just liquid courage. But behind this barrier shes invisible. It was my first time doing a really long-term creative project. Enlisting his friend and roommate, disillusioned Penn English major Max Strickberger, the two took off their spring semester, loaded up Jinichs moms SUV with food and supplies, and embarked on a six-week, 7,300-mile journey across the country, interviewing a diverse group of young people about the impact of the pandemic on their lives. Back at home at the University of Pennsylvania, seniors Alan Jinich (left) and Max Strickberger (right) pose on their front stoop last week. They started by reaching out to several Penn faculty, including Kathy Peiss, history professor, Margo Natalie Crawford, English professor, Jean-Christophe Cloutier, associate professor of English and comparative literature, and writer Sam Apple, who teaches creative writing. Collectively, this power couple had an eye on West Phillys well-being for more than 50 years. All together. At the end of each interview, they asked everyone to write in a notebook a response to the prompt, after the pandemic, I want to.. I really applauded Alans following his intuition and his hunger to connect and also to build a microphone for others to be able to express what they were going through.. Back at home at the University of Pennsylvania, seniors Alan Jinich (left) and Max Strickberger (right) pose on their front stoop last week. Two students took what they've learned at Penn - and pressed onward out of the shell to see if their learned backgrounds can translate to real-world I couldnt be a bottle service girl or server because there are no boundaries. You need to be a subscriber to read these stories. As in a dream, I feel that hes taken my place. And I think people felt some degree of freedom in being young, and they recognized from an empathetic perspective that not everyone has this and were really lucky that we do. AJ: People were really grateful. Experience in writing long-form nonfiction gives the student-writer, who might one day try to make a vocation of this work, a sense of how hard it is to do something long and sustained, says Hendrickson. The cousins said they would only talk for 10 minutes. We knew when we started the road trip that we wanted to do these interviews and just talk to people our age. Having taken approximately one human development class more than two decades ago, I only know about Arnett, and his (oft-refuted) research, because Im on a video call with Penn seniors Alan Jinich and Max Strickbergerand, mid-call, they receive an email from a Penn professor asking them to talk to a class about this very subject. If theres news at Penn, youll find it here. For Lily Stein, C22, Alan Jinich, C22, and their classmates, it wasnt merely an academic experience, but a deeply personal one. Fingers scramble through purses and wallets in search of drivers licenses, foreign passports, spare cash. Todays question: What was Iversons moment? Alan Kurt Rillema arrested in 23-year-old cold case for attacking created by College seniors Alan Jinich and Max Strickberger. The Arts Lounge at the Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts, 3680 Walnut St. Penn Park Parking Lot, 3100 Lower Walnut St. So our first day, when we were in Greensboro, Alabama, we spent the whole day walking through Main Street of this very small town of 2,500 people and didnt get any interviews. Send your thoughts our way at morningnewsletter@inquirer.com. In high school, he started a magazine, InLight, to allow those in marginalized communities to tell their stories. She examined archival prints and held in-depth interviews with the curator.