I will not have to learn how to be a judge. This also ensures that cases are proceeding in a timely manner. He has been a member of the Genesee County Democratic Party, Genesee County Democratic Black Caucus, NAACP and Urban League of Flint. I am proud that all of my court hearings, despite the current COVID pandemic, are continuing and are streamed live so that the public can see what occurs in my courtroom. Hammon: I have always valued justice, integrity, honesty, and contribution to my community. In Genesee Circuit Court (7th Circuit Court), Genesee District Judge Harman Marable . Education. I have strong morals and ethics, integrity, and I am naturally energetic, involved, and visible. Endorsements for all offices are voted on by the Executive Board. .widget-row.heading { 17th Circuit Court, 61st District Court, Probate Court 180 Ottawa Avenue NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503 (616) 632-5220 Health. display: inline-block; background-color: white; I have more than 18 years experience being an attorney. width: 57%; padding-left: 10px; Endorsements for all offices are voted on by the Executive Board. . If not, should they be put in place and shared? To learn more about judicial selection in Michigan, click here. Fouts has not been named a party in any of the lawsuits, but the decisions by the courts directly affect him. Warren Mayor Jim Fouts eligible to be on city ballot, judge rules, Warren Mayor Jim Fouts files to run for 5th term despite term limit amendment, 4 of Warren's longest serving councilmen knocked off ballot again, Making Marrocco's home a prison: No TV, no parties, no golf, Trans male fencer Bobbie Hirsch is making history at Wayne State University, Your California Privacy Rights / Privacy Policy. He graduated from Flint Southwestern Academy and received a bachelors degree from the University of Michigan-Flint and juris doctorate from Thomas M. Cooley Law School. Please, 100 largest cities in America by population, Michigan local trial court judicial elections, 2016, Local trial court judicial elections, 2016, Michigan Trial Courts Directory: Kent County, https://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php?title=Paul_Denenfeld&oldid=7280132, Michigan circuit court judges, 17th Circuit, Successful Michigan judicial candidates, 2010, Conflicts in school board elections, 2021-2022, Special Congressional elections (2023-2024), 2022 Congressional Competitiveness Report, State Executive Competitiveness Report, 2022, State Legislative Competitiveness Report, 2022, Partisanship in 2022 United States local elections. Legislative candidate endorsements are based on voting records for incumbents and a comprehensive candidate questionnaire. All candidates for Michigan House and Senate, regardless of party, are invited to return a questionnaire and apply for an endorsement. All responses in the voter guide were submitted directly by the candidates and have not been edited by the League of Women Voters, except for a necessary cut if a reply exceeded character limitations. If yes, how often should they be reviewed or shared with the public? To learn more about judicial selection in Michigan, click here. font-weight: bold; color: black; Such specialty courts are a great tool to help our citizens learn to better themselves and contribute to our society. background-color: green; Courts must be accessible to all whether you are rich or poor. This begins by providing the public with the tools to confirm that fair and equal justice apply to everyone. if(document.getElementsByClassName("reference").length==0) if(document.getElementById('Footnotes')!==null) document.getElementById('Footnotes').parentNode.style.display = 'none'; Ballotpedia features 408,485 encyclopedic articles written and curated by our professional staff of editors, writers, and researchers. 2.1 Selection method. margin-bottom: 0; Michigan local trial court judicial elections, 2018; Michigan local trial court judicial elections, 2017; Michigan local trial court judicial elections, 2016; Michigan judicial elections, 2014; Michigan judicial elections, 2012; Michigan judicial elections, 2010; Selection method See also: Nonpartisan election of judges. Feaster: I respect Flints rich history and I have dedicated my career to contributing to its future. Voters in 2020 approved a city charter amendment that a mayor may serve only three four-year terms, or 12 years, like other elected officials in the city. Phone Directory . Previously, he was a director for the Institute for New Democracies for Uzbekistan and senior litigation counsel for the federal public defender office. Christenseon: During my 20-year career I have practiced at every judicial level in Michigan, and I have had the opportunity to learn from Judges across our State. ", He said the administration "has been playing games with term limits for over a decade. [3], Qualifications Fouts, Papandrea, City Council President Pat Green, state Rep. Lori Stone and Macomb County Commissioner Michelle Nard have filed to run for mayor. Court Judge file with the Michigan Department of State, Bureau of Elections, P.O. election law stipulates that in instances where a candidate for Court of Appeals Judge, Circuit Court Judge, District Court Judge, or Probate Court Judge seeks election in a district where . Judge Sima Patel* CIRCUIT COURT. That term-limit situation was a seesaw battle through the courts with expedited appeals. .courts-container hr {background-color:#f0a236;padding-bottom:2px;}, Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals U.S. District Court: Eastern District of Michigan, Western District of Michigan U.S. Bankruptcy Court: Eastern District of Michigan, Western District of Michigan, Michigan Supreme Court } There are a substantial number of cases in the Courts, especially in Genesee County. If you are interested in receiving MAJ's endorsement please email Executive Director Steve Pontoni at spontoni@michiganjustice.org. They are chosen in nonpartisan elections and must face re-election if they wish to continue serving. 2.2.1 Primary election; 2.2.2 General election; 2.2.3 Ties; 2.3 Footnotes; Circuit Court. The Michigan Court of Appeals decision is at best an unlikely and implausible conclusion clearly contradicting the ruling of the Macomb County Circuit Court Judge Toia, Fouts said in a lengthy response. Marable Jr.: I will bring experience, fairness, commitment, integrity, and diligence to the Circuit Court bench. He received 31.42 percent of the vote.[5]. } .widget-row.Green { .top_disclaimer { Judges make decisions about peoples lives daily. What do you perceive as the greatest challenge(s) to justice/public accountability? Jeff Schroder, an attorney representing the City Council, said "we're very pleased with the court's decision because it upheld the will of the voters who approved a term limit amendment by over 67% of the vote in 2020. font-size: .9em; Marsh: I ran for judge in 2018 and I received 53,381 votes in that race. Denenfeld, Paul J. float: right; The success of my prior judicial campaign is a demonstration of my work ethic and viability as a judicial candidate. April 13, 2020 . We can do a better job of keeping the public informed by making information about the process of the courts readily available. 22nd (Washtenaw Co) -Marla Linderman Richelew*, 45th District Court - Judge Michelle Freidman Appel, Yes on Prop 1: Voters for Transparency and Term Limits, Yes on Prop 2:Right to Voting Policies Amendment, Yes on Prop 3:Right to Reproductive Freedom, 325 S. Walnut Street The courts need to stay relevant to the times. Candidates are placed on the ballot via nonpartisan primaries or by nominating petitions. Kent County, Michigan. He said his clients want to appeal. Weier is a Bentley Senior High School honors graduate and received her bachelors degree with honors from the University of Michigan-Flint and her juris doctorate from the University of Detroit-Mercy Law School. %%EOF font-size: .9em; } Click here to contact us for media inquiries, and please donate here to support our continued expansion. The impact of COVID on the justice system will require new methods of operating for safety and efficiency. The 2020 vote didnt affect Fouts fourth, four-year term, which began in 2019, but it did appear that he would be unable to seek a fifth term. All rights reserved. But City Attorney Ethan Vinson issued an opinion that the 2020 term limits did not bar Fouts from running for a fifth term. This will help eliminate issues with implicit bias, racism, and sexism. Hammon: The 67th District Court, with the assistance of the State Court Administrators office conducts yearly audits that are available to the public. I am comfortable leading in a variety of settings. District courts have jurisdiction in civil matters where the amount in controversy does not exceed $25,000. Michigan local trial court judicial elections, 2023, Michigan local trial court judicial elections, 2022, Michigan local trial court judicial elections, 2021, Michigan local trial court judicial elections, 2020, Michigan local trial court judicial elections, 2019, Michigan local trial court judicial elections, 2018, Michigan local trial court judicial elections, 2017, Michigan local trial court judicial elections, 2016, https://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php?title=17th_Circuit_Court,_Michigan&oldid=9037092, Conflicts in school board elections, 2021-2022, Special Congressional elections (2023-2024), 2022 Congressional Competitiveness Report, State Executive Competitiveness Report, 2022, State Legislative Competitiveness Report, 2022, Partisanship in 2022 United States local elections. Follow her on Twitter: @challreporter. GENESEE COUNTY, MI -- Six candidates are vying for three judicial seats in contested races Nov. 3 in the county. Access to justice for those who can not afford legal services or for those that have disabilities is equally important to ensure that the court system is fair to all that wish to use it. Fouts said Warren residents should be able to decide who will be mayor. YouTubes privacy policy is available here and YouTubes terms of service is available here. vertical-align: top; The ruling comes less than a month after a Macomb County Circuit Court judge denied a motion from the Warren City Council and Councilman Ron Papandrea that challenged Fouts' eligibility. I have served both the legal and greater community in many roles throughout my years of practice. At the end of the day, it is critical that justice and Constitutional rights are not sacrificed in this changing environment. She was formerly on the public defender list, representing hundreds of defendants in felony cases. Why? Each court typically publishes related data on a dashboard on court websites for public view as required and monitored by SCAO. She has practiced law for more than 15 years and served as a Genesee County public defender, representing indigent criminal defendants in felony cases for more than 14 years. [5], If two or more candidates in a race receive the same number of votes, the election is to be decided by lot. The 221 judges of the Michigan Circuit Courts are selected in an identical manner, each serving six-year terms. 0 Ballots will have to be finalized so they can be printed and sent to clerks by June 24, when clerks have to transmit or mail absent voter ballots to military or overseas voters who applied for one. [1], .courts-container { background-color:#fcfcfc; width:100%; border:1px solid black;padding:5px;text-align:center;clear:both; } } Before she was elected to this court, she was a judge on the 61st District Court for the City of Grand Rapids for almost 3 years. As a Flint District Judge for 20 years, and 9 years as a prosecutor, I have more experience than any other candidate. } I have a great deal of trial experience including civil and criminal trials. Overview; Michigan; Races; Michigan 17th District Court; Data through 12/31/2022 Michigan 17th District Court 2022 Election Season $0 Total Contributions. [4], The chief judges of the circuit courts are appointed by the state supreme court to two-year terms. [1][2] He took office on August 10, 2009. 3094 0 obj <>/Filter/FlateDecode/ID[<7F570A21EA581B439EAD5FE7DF210981>]/Index[3066 51]/Info 3065 0 R/Length 126/Prev 344584/Root 3067 0 R/Size 3117/Type/XRef/W[1 3 1]>>stream If elected, I would continue this practice as it benefits all involved. I am also a sharp and effective communicator with strong leadership and interpersonal skills. This is more efficient, reduces costs, lessens court appearances and litigants do not have to miss as much work. I believe a judge having compassion and understanding is essential. ", He expressed doubt "that I can get a fair and objective legal opinion in this court and maybe beyond?". Candidates have until Tuesday to file for office and until April 28 to withdraw. They argued that Fouts is ineligible to run because of term limits approved by voters in 2020. I will continue to support rehabilitation programs that teach defendants in my court how to break the cycle that brought them in front of me. .widget-value { Vinsons opinion, which was accepted by the Warren Election Commission during an Election Day meeting in November, stated it was not clear that the ballot proposal approved by voters in 2020 should apply to Fouts. Sec. She has been an attorney for nearly 19 years and has handled all types of cases litigated in Genesee District Court. I am also of the opinion that, absent unusual circumstances, cases should progress through the legal system in a timely manner. p. 517.321.3073 To be elected to either of these courts, a judge must:[3]. Publication of candidate statements and opinions is solely in the interest of public service and should NOT be considered as an endorsement. Ballotpedia provides comprehensive coverage of the 100 largest cities in America by population as well as mayoral, city council, and district attorney election coverage in state capitals outside of the 100 largest cities. The Michigan Court of Appeals ruled Friday that Warren Mayor Jim Fouts is not eligible to run this year for another term. $0 Total Expenditures. width: 43%; hb```lw@(qour@x{/JM J?4X~@Q9HHt0p40t04p0h4p`5DXKEBY'3 3z0Md\4))1Sy8nIc(uK3 D8K_c` Now, as our court system faces the new reality of operating during a pandemic and recession; with backlogged dockets; a reduced capacity to operate; and almost certain budget cuts to come, it is critical we have battle tested judges who have experience in serving the public under less than ideal circumstances. margin-bottom: 1px; . Michigan District Courts He worked as an intern at the Genesee County Prosecutors Office and worked as a judicial advisory assistant to Genesee Probate Judge Jennie Barkey. The following background information was provided by each candidate. background-color: #f9f9f9; .widget-row.Libertarian { COVID is a watershed event that will force changes that will impact our courts indefinitely. It did so in 2019, making a ruling in June of that year that four veteran councilmen's names were to be off the primary ballot, reversing a Court of Appeals ruling that would have allowed the four names to be on the ballot. Feaster has a bachelors degree from Eastern Michigan University and received his juris doctorate from the University of Dayton School of Law. font-weight: bold; This makes it extremely difficult for the Court to get through the volume of cases before it. We cannot ignore the social unrest that is taking place in our nation at this time. Michigan Court of Appeals Michigan is one of 43 states that hold elections for judicial positions. Five of nine Genesee County Board of Commissioner seats contested in Nov. 3 election, Genesee County clerk-register race pits incumbent John Gleason against Republican Jesse Couch, State Rep. Mueller faces challenger May in race for 51st District state House of Representatives. Michigan local trial court judicial elections, 2023, Michigan local trial court judicial elections, 2022, Michigan local trial court judicial elections, 2021, Michigan local trial court judicial elections, 2020, Michigan local trial court judicial elections, 2019, Michigan local trial court judicial elections, 2018, Michigan local trial court judicial elections, 2017, Michigan local trial court judicial elections, 2016, https://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php?title=17th_Circuit_Court,_Michigan&oldid=9037092, Conflicts in school board elections, 2021-2022, Special Congressional elections (2023-2024), 2022 Congressional Competitiveness Report, State Executive Competitiveness Report, 2022, State Legislative Competitiveness Report, 2022, Partisanship in 2022 United States local elections. 1.1 Judges; 1.2 Former judges; 1.3 See also; 1.4 External links; 2 Elections. } Many of the Courts are streamlining and lessening the amount of Court appearances. Thus, my conclusion is that the Court of Appeals has chosen to deny the voters of Warren the right to have a choice in November. I have served as a volunteer mediator and contributed countless hours of pro bono work. 1 Circuit Court. Further, the 67th District Court has a website where information about the Court is accessible to the public at any time. Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 4/4/2023), Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement, and Your Privacy Choices and Rights (updated 1/26/2023). In addition, I am the only candidate who has quasi-judicial experience. 738 W. Grand River Ave, Suite N The longtime politician is seeking a fifth, four-year term as mayor of Michigan's third-populous city. Christenson: The Supreme Court Administrator does set and track benchmarks for courts to follow however, the information is not easily ascertainable. That experience, especially in the Circuit Court level, has shown me great, innovative ways to run a courtroom, and target areas that courts can improve to better serve residents in a more fair and equitable fashion. I hear cases on blight and enforce city ordinances designed to eliminate our citys blight problem. font-weight: bold; Marsh received an associates degree, graduating Summa Cum Laude, from Kellogg Community College in Battle Creek. Michigan is one of 43 states that hold elections for judicial positions. He wrote " 'any terms of years served prior to this amendment are included' language was in the ballot's explanatory caption, but not in the 'proposal' section on the ballot or in the amended charter.". Denenfeld holds a B.A. Justice must be carried out in a fair and equal manner. Hammon: The greatest challenge to justice and public accountability of all governmental units is transparency. Support local journalism. be a qualified elector of his or her district; be licensed to practice law in the state; have at least five years of law practice experience; and. Weier: I am dedicated and hard working. 3116 0 obj <>stream [3] Sitting judges who reach age 70 are allowed to serve out the remainder of their term. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Advance Local. For instance, instead of having a separate date for an arraignment and a separate date for a pretrial, some Courts are combining the arraignment and pretrial into one court appearance.