Start your Independent Premium subscription today. Before the kidnap, Shergar was worth 10m. Mr Reynolds, 46, who was Fine Gael MP for Sligo/Leitrim for 20 years, until last year, said: "According to folklore, Shergar lies buried in an outlying farm near Ballinamore. Or by navigating to the user icon in the top right. An armed gang who stole Shergar, winner of the 1981 Derby from the Aga Khan's Irish stud on Tuesday night told a captive groom at the time that they would be demanding 2 million for his safe return. Shergar was voted European Racehorse of the Year, but he never raced again and was retired to stud. He said: "If Shergar is harmed in any way it will do untold damage to the whole bloodstock industry. He was born in Kildare in 1978 and kidnapped by an armed gang in 1983. It was not until about 4am that the Garda was alerted - and one of the biggest security operations in the Republic's history swung into action. Shergar has vanished before, but only briefly. Instead, they were dealing with a syndicate, most of whose insurance policies covered theft. Even though the Troubles ended a decade ago we were advised "not to spend more than an hour there if you are asking awkward questions". Sadly still hasn't been found today just guessing. Jockey Walter Swinburn, who rode Shergar in most of his races, was in India yesterday and had not been told about the horse's disappearance. But Prime has become a playground obsession, Belfast celebrates Deaf Awareness week with new production Expecting, Comedian Hal Cruttenden on using divorce from Derry wife as show inspiration: I did run it past her. Lawyer Owen Tebbs, who organised the syndicate for the Aga, said: "It is quite likely many have not taken out insurance. On the cold, muggy evening of February 8, 1983, Shergar was kidnapped by a gang of men in balaclavas, thought to be part of the IRA. But on that day in June 1981, the pair owned the day. Love Irish history? I doubt anyone has been there for years. The next day, another call came through with the following message: The horse has had an accident. One idea is that the horse did have some sort of accident while in a frenzy, and the men killed him because they couldnt handle his crazed manner. Predictably, the residents claimed to know nothing about Shergar's whereabouts before or after he was killed. No one has ever admitted responsibility for the incident, and the remains of the horse have never been found. but he had a great head that way. Negotiations with the kidnappers continued for four days and a Polaroid photograph was provided, showing Shergar and an up-to-date copy of the Irish Times before the kidnappers suddenly fell silent. "I was there with a farmer's son and he said it was not an ordinary horse.". "People know where Shergar is buried, but the rehearsed silence is unbreakable.". "We are keen to find Shergar. They all suffered in some way. In June 1981 he threw his stable lad and bolted during a workout at Newmarket. No. By day four, an impasse had been reached. This process is referred to as a caricature of police bungling, as the actual police werent notified until 8 hours after Shergar was taken and the men were long gone from the area. It is used to make some wall and fine arts paintbrushes. Ive made some really hard films. His peerless season, remember, coincided with the dark, muggy summer of the Hunger Strikes. This was it and it was approved by the IRA army council, according to our sources.". An Irish councillor claims he had discovered the head of horse racing legend Shergar. . Shergar was taken by masked gunmen on 8 February 1983 and while it's never been been proven exactly what happened there are no end of theories. But Ballinamore has form. If we can show it is possible to identity him after all this time it may deter other people from kidnapping horses," he said. He had been preparing for his second season as a breeding stallion, the BBC said. Thieves stole a life-size statue of the triple Grand National winner, Red Rum, from a house in East Meon, Hampshire. Taking the horse was relatively simple and the details were recounted in newspaper reports that circulated around the world in the days afterwards. This means that we may include adverts from us and third parties based on our knowledge of you. During his first season he "covered" 35 mares, with owners paying up to 80,000 a time for the privilege of having a colt or filly by Shergar. Police said the kidnappers did just that after driving away with their prize. Revered Irish racehorse Shergar was taken at gunpoint from Ballymany Stud in County Kildare on February 8, 1983, and never seen again. The incident has inspired several books, documentaries, and a film starring Mickey Rourke. When it comes to breeding, there are multiple ranch and Quarter horse bloodlines famous for producing top-quality horses. As his son, Bernard, answered it, three masked and armed men barged their way in and started ordering the family around. The Sunday Telegraph also tracked down Kevin Mallon to his seafront home in Howth, eight miles from Dublin city centre. I went around to all these places and people were truly kind in talking to me. Speculation is that they were unable to handle the stallion and shot him before he ran wild on them. After a few miles, Mr Fitzgerald was ordered to get out of the car, to keep walking, not to turn around and not to call the police. The Provisional IRA, strapped for cash to fund its campaign, hatched a plan to kidnap the animal for ransom. Join thought-provoking conversations, follow other Independent readers and see their replies. Police are investigating after human remains were found in a large plastic container last week in a New Jersey neighborhood near New York City. There was widespread relief when at the end of his career, instead of being shipped to one of the large American studs as expected, Shergar was returned to his birthplace of Ireland. It was several hours before the Garda were informed, but by then there were no clues. Family history, family mystery - where did my Irish great-grandfather end up? This sold out viral energy drink has young boys and teenagers obsessed, Ten things Ive learnt from my first 100 days as a dairy farmer, Lucidtalk poll: Sinn Feins lead over DUP almost halved since Assembly election, The smiles are all Michelle ONeills despite closing gap Sinn Feins message to undecided voters is clear, SF wont lose votes by attending coronation despite the griping, Use of Irish language during Kings coronation welcomed, Co Tyrone womans big day as one of Queens Spice Girls, Food subscription boxes in NI: whats available and how much does it cost, Friends to Dawsons Creek: The nineties TV classics that NI public keeps in its heart, Bristol City FC apologise for message celebrating Michael Stone beating Milltown 3-0, PSNI officer suspended after being accused of paying for sex as two other cops investigated for taking cocaine, Man critical following major crash in east Belfast, Person hit by train between Lisburn and Portadown, Met Office Northern Ireland: Yellow weather warning issued for rain, Mobuoy: The illegal super dump polluting Derrys water supply, Moment US President Joe Biden forgets about visiting Ireland, Michelle Obama joins Bruce Springsteen to perform 'Glory Days' in Barcelona concert, Trade unionist Mick Lynch addresses crowds of workers and activists in Belfast, Bank holiday sunshine tinged with threat of showers, Bank holiday to be dry but rain expected later in the week, IRAs July 12 deadline for declaration of withdrawal during secret talks in 1972, On this day in 2012: Roy Hodgson appointed as England manager. Or the detective who did his best in a situation that became crazy. There was blood everywhere and the horse even slipped on his own blood. Shergar was born in Kildare, Ireland in 1978. Mr Foley, who used to enjoy betting on Shergar, said yesterday: "I found the skull in a sack hidden behind a rock in a dip. He is the majority shareholder in the syndicate, which also includes trainer Vincent O'Brien and leading owner Robert Sangster. A sign on a railing leading to the stud read: "Please close the gate.". In February 1983, Shergar was kidnapped from his stable in Kildare, held for ransom, and brutally killed by his captors who havent been identified. Vanilla Ice: loves his racing, baby BBC Vanilla Ice said: I love horses, I love watching them. "After that, it was just a case of old-fashioned walking up laneways and knocking on doors and trying to track down people who had some connection with the case. She laughs at the memory before another thought occurs. SHERGAR was arguably the most valuable and famous racehorse in the world. Shergar was five years old and preparing for his second season as a breeding stallion when he was snatched from the Ballymany Stud in Co Kildare - just a stone's throw from The Curragh racetrack - on a foggy winter's evening. Capt Berry's work and home phone lines were tapped, with his knowledge, by the Dublin police after his association put up a 100,000 reward for information leading to Shergar's safe return. With an intense garda hunt taking place across the country and the ransom process now a shambles, a decision was made to end the operation. Shergar became a father for the first time a week ago when a bay colt [pictured top left on the newspaper page above] who looks remarkably like him was born at the Irish stud. The Aga Khan was amazing. Bank robberies, or hold-ups of cash in transit, was becoming more and more difficult and a new strategy needed to be found. Share your favorite stories with other history buffs in the IrishCentral History Facebook group. A retired milkman from south-west Ireland believes he may have solved the greatest mystery in the history of horse racing after spending Grand National day cleaning up a beauty spot. In February 1983, Shergar was kidnapped from his stable in Kildare, held for ransom, and brutally killed by his captors who havent been identified. The man who made Shergar a superstar appealed to the kidnapperslast night: "For God's sake, don't harm him. However, she has happier memories of making the documentary. The description speaks of the low ignorance of the moment. Mallon, a convicted killer originally from Co Tyrone, eventually became part of IRA folklore after shooting his way out of one prison and being lifted by helicopter from another. The Sunday Telegraph reported that four days after Shergar was seized, the Army Council realized they would never collect a ransom. The kidnappers had chosen the day before Ireland's major Goff's racehorse sale - when horse boxes were being driven the length and breadth of the country - to abduct Shergar, thereby making it more difficult for the stallion to be found. Read more, Known in the industry as fake tails, these pieces, just like the best hairpieces for humans, are made from real hair and braided into existing locks to add length and volume. and the rest are nowhere. Mr Kehoe, a former Sinn Fein councillor, said he had not sued O'Callaghan because nobody believed him: "He was working for both sides - that's as much as you need to know about what he has to say.". Hes with his father Wally; boyish, serious, not remotely fazed. We use your sign-up to provide content in the ways you've consented to and improve our understanding of you. Investors thought it was a licence to print money. The IRA continued to pretend the horse was still alive. He proved infertile as a stallion, as none of the 34 mares bred to him became pregnant. I hope one day we can get to the bottom of what happend. Shergar amassed 295,000 in prize money in 1981 under Stoute's careful handling. Nothing more was heard from them again. This meant there were two parallel inquiries, with the two forces refusing to share information. One of the most famous animal kidnapping cases the in the world took place in Ireland thirty years ago this Thursday. . Well, if youre not satisfied, came the reply. I could hardly see it for tears, Doreen Swinburn, Walters mother, remembers of her joy when we speak by telephone. A gate leading to the stud was unguarded and unlocked when the gunmen arrived at 8.30 on Tuesday night. Police were (modern). "Shergar was a grand horse and he deserved better. The plot, hairbrained as it turned out, was to gain a ransom for the record-breaking Epsom Derby winner. Jubilee Farm: The sanctuary in Larne helping refugees and asylum seekers, Life as a pet dog photographer: My rescue dog saved me, now Ive turned my passion into a business, What is Prime Hydration? Rutgers is studying the fragments to determine exactly what was found on the site of long-abandoned church. It was a very bloody death." One of them, with the revolver, was very aggressive," Mr. Fitzgerald told the Telegraph about his ride in the kidnappers car. The men never reached an agreement. The failure to find Shergar's body meant that only members of the syndicate who had insured the horse for theft - as well as death or an accident - were compensated by their insurance companies. They did. The other IRA figure was Kieran Conway, a one-time intelligence chief of the organisation, who had rejoined the organisation after the 1981 hunger strikes. After Shergar won the 202nd Epsom Derby and the Irish Derby in 1981, the five-year-old Irish-bred retired. Eight hours passed before detectives arrived in Ballymany. Epsom was wreathed in flowers and goodwill and a delight among the crowd at witnessing racing aristocracy: a rare champion, as much vision as animal. Millars film is a forensic portrayal of Shergars kidnapping and contains definitive interviews with Cosgrove and Fitzgerald, both of whom died in the years afterwards. The stud farm was Ireland's main racecourse and training grounds. But I honestly don't think Shergar's grave will ever be found.". But no contact was made. In February 1983, Shergar was kidnapped for ransom by the IRA, who killed him when the abduction went wrong and buried his body in a bog in the north of County the gang and the Aga Khan. It was quite a character of a horse. The disappearance of the iconic racehorse, suspected to be the work of the IRA, has fascinated people for more than three decades. "He has always refused to speak openly about his time in the IRA, but he spoke to me as an 'expert' on the IRA's kidnapping strategy," says Alison. Over the course of the following few days, a strange and blackly comic series of late-night phone calls and false trails formed the official backdrop to a nationwide trawl of farm yards and sheds for the missing horse. Now, however, an investigation by The Sunday Telegraph to mark the 25th anniversary of the horse's kidnapping finally solves the puzzle of Shergar's final hours, why his remains have never been found and how the Garda, the Irish police, bungled their investigation. When contacted by The Sunday Telegraph, he refused to discuss the case. Tom Foley, an independent member of Kerry county council, found the skull of a racehorse in a deserted gully near Tralee last Saturday. I do. Former IRA informer Sean O'Callaghan, who is from Co Kerry, later claimed that the horse had been killed by his abductors who were unable to handle him. "I can still remember that night in that car with them lads. Furthermore, a prominent Provo-supporting family used to live in the village of Aughnasheelan, three miles from Ballinamore, which is surrounded by deep bogs where a horse's body could easily be hidden. The Aga could have got much more if he had sold Shergar to America. On Monday, August 8, 2022, an inmate in the Polk County Detention Center led the Polk County Sheriffs Office to skeletal remains in a shallow grave west of Shergar was retired to stud at the end of its Derby-winning year and immediately became the most valuable horse at that time. Shergar wins the Derby - and you need a telescope to see the rest. - Peter Bromley, BBC Radio, June 3rd, 1981. He was ordered to point out Shergar's box. Here we look back on how the Mirror reported the crime at the time. Shergars body was never found, and the case remains a mystery. Want to bookmark your favourite articles and stories to read or reference later? His 306 foals went on to produce such legends as 1964 Derby and Preakness winner Northern Dancer, who himself sired 645 named foals; Mr. In this case, the Read more. There was blood everywhere and the horse even slipped on his own blood. Lord Lucan and the Mafia In 2008, the Sunday Telegraph took a closer look at the cold As always you can unsubscribe at any time. Tommy Foley, from Tralee in Co Kerry, said he found the remains of the stallion's skull last Saturday during an annual clean up of a glen outside the West Ireland town. Just sort of go out there and do your best. Hes dead.. The dark humour disguised the less palatable truth that Ireland, the Banana Republic, couldnt even cherish and safeguard one of the most gorgeous animals the world had seen. He was buried near his sire, Bold Ruler, in a small graveyard behind the office at the farm. Among others, one reason the investigation was so difficult for authorities was because the kidnappers had chosen the day before Irelands big Goffs racehorse sale to abduct Shergar, when many horseboxes were being driven across all of Irelands roads, thereby making it hard to differentiate him. "I can tell you, I didn't look around once - I was happy to be on the ground," he said in a broad Co Kildare accent. Some horses are treated similar to pets, kept for their companionship and entertainment value. Chief superintendent James Murphy, who is leading the kidnap hunt, said last night: "It was unbelievably easy. Shergar ran just eight races in his short life, winning six times. There, he was syndicated for 10 million (40 shares worth 250,000 each, six of which were kept by the Aga Khan) to stand at stud. On the racecourse, as a two- and three-year-old, Shergar had been nothing short of sensational, winning the 1981 Derby by 10 lengths, a record distance that century for Britain's biggest flat race. Named Horse of the Year in 1957, Bold Ruler was the first stallion whose offspring won more than $2 million in one season. They are expected to carry out DNA tests. Theories over who had kidnapped Shergar have been plentiful. The bay colt was owned by the Aga Khan, the billionaire spiritual leader to 15 million Ismaili Muslims. Who was the greatest racehorse sire of all time? The source, who was a close friend of one of the kidnappers, said that the Army Council, the Provos' ruling body, had sanctioned the kidnap. The truth about Shergar racehorse kidnapping By Andrew Alderson, Chief Reporter examiner.co.uk 27 Jan 2008 It is 25 years since a world-famous racehorse was kidnapped by the IRA, never to be seen again. I love to think about how Secretariat is Ruffians uncle. He was astonished to find it was pierced by two bullet holes. Who Owns The Largest Horse Farm In Kentucky? Should I Get A Pre-Purchase Exam On A Horse? "When I saw the names he mentioned, I knew right away that what he was saying in the letters was right," she says. 35 foals. Aghrasheeling translates as "meadow of the fairies", but are people still spinning fairy stories? An astonishing lack of security made it equally simple for a four-man gang to steal him from the Aga Khan's stud farm in Ireland. A shocked Mr Fitzgerald was able to give only a rough outline of the raid. Shergar was kidnapped from the Ballymany Stud on February 9 1983. Tommy Foley, from Tralee in Co Kerry, said he found the remains of the stallions skull last Saturday during an annual clean up of a glen outside the West Ireland town. When she spoke with people, she found them friendly but reticent "The Sun", "Sun", "Sun Online" are registered trademarks or trade names of News Group Newspapers Limited. "There is a possibility that it was him because when Shergar was abducted there was a Kerry connection.". "There were two bullet holes in the head and it was definitely a racehorse's head," he said. "He was a gentleman and he even gave us his mobile telephone number. When he retired after that first season, racehorse owners paid up to $120,000 for shares in his services impregnating mares, eager to have young horses from his bloodline to train for races. It was a sort of exasperation: oh, you dont want to talk about that horse. Security was very lax.". But detectives believe he is hidden away in an isolated spot. "Thirty-five years after the horse was taken from its stable in Kildare, I wanted to do my own documentary, and the letters proved invaluable in pointing me in certain directions. If they had wanted to steal a horse, they couldnt have found a kinder horse,' said Doreen Swinburn. "That's not a very nice thing to do," he said slowly, with typical Irish understatement, as he wiped a tear from the corner of his eye. In many ways I wanted to call the film the Ghost of Shergar. When he was returned to Ireland after her first winning season, he was syndicated for $15 million between 34 people - each share was worth around $382,000, six of which were kept by the Aga Khan. His five victories that season included the Irish Derby and Ascot's prestige King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes. Bold Ruler. The most valuable horse in the world disappeared without trace. The Irish Sea Helped The kidnappers were told that further proof of Shergars wellbeing was needed. By far the most popular set of events is that the horse, worth 10million in 1983, was taken for ransom by the IRA thinking it was owned by the fabulously wealthy Aga Khan who would pay a fortune to get the champion back. Four hours later he was released, still blindfolded but unharmed, near Dublin. When Alison set out to make the documentary, she figured that 35 years after the kidnapping and the new atmosphere in Ireland - at that time the Troubles were at their height - tongues may have been loosened and people would be more willing to talk about the incident. Yes, it is awful, it was a racehorse at the top of its game; yes, it was killed, disappeared. Bred by the Aga Khan in County Kildare not too far from the stud from which he was eventually taken, Shergar was trained by Sir Michael Stoute in Newmarket. I did find though that people honestly didnt want to talk about it. His US Triple Crown performances ingrained his place in history. Stud fees were set at around 80,000 for each time it covered a brood mare. Insurers refused to pay out without proof of the horse's death. A gorgeous few minutes of television interview exists with Walter Swinburn, utterly unflappable and just 19 when he rode Shergar to victory. The proud former groom still has framed photographs of Shergar in his hall and living room. Co Leitrim, which even now has a population of just 26,000, has kept many secrets during the 30 years of the Troubles. But it was a wonderful day and he rode a lovely competent race. We do not even know what kind of accents they spoke with.". To see all content on The Sun, please use the Site Map. The horse was the easiest modern-day winner of the Epsom Derby. Thats it.. If they had wanted to steal a horse, they couldnt have found a kinder horse., Keith Duggan is a features writer with The Irish Times, Latest news from the world of sport, along with the best in opinion from our outstanding team of sports writers, Ryan returns to old themes as Cluxton turns the clock back, Kevin Kilbane: Manchester Citys success leaves a bad taste but at least theyre not Wengers arrogant a***holes, Leo Cullen wants Leinster to maximise everything in this window with Sharks next, Compact Thammy Nguyan prepared for heavy lifting in pursuit of Olympic glory, Return of Ballydoyle heavyweight Luxembourg indicates step up in flat campaign, Lossiemouth expected to put Grade One seal on record-breaking season for Willie Mullins, Mullins and Townend continue Punchestown festival dominance with Grade One double, Willie Mullins smashes his own Irish prizemoney record with Punchestown four-timer, Punchestown preview: State Man out to make another statement of intent, Forget carrots, tomatoes, peppers: Here are the best vegetables to grow, New town on the north side of Drogheda is under way to cater for a population of just over 21,100, Im dating a guy who has called things off twice, but I keep going back for more, Senator defends President Michael D Higgins after economists disparage speech, This has been a game-changer for me: how a room in the garden can transform your family life, Four for under 350,000: homes in Dublin, Wicklow, Wexford and Limerick, My five-year-old daughter can be really bossy. Award-winning filmmaker Alison Millar realised she had uncovered gold dust when she was shown the hefty sheaf of letters sent from Maghaberry Prison by Sean O'Callaghan to Mr Clarke. The source said that the two handlers, one clutching a machine gun, went into the remote stable where the horse was being held and opened fire. His frightened family had followed kidnappers' orders to remain silent and it was 5 am yesterday before police were contacted. WebShergar - Born in County Kildare in 1978 and kidnapped by an armed gang in 1983. Derby winner Shergar was kidnapped by an IRA gang from a stud in Co Kildare 17 years ago. It couldnt have happened in a worse country in that we are the kingdom of the horse here, says racing historian Guy Williams. Red Rum did not have any foals. There was no pressure. But I couldnt understand why the way we talk about silence and fear in relation to the past on this island extended to this horse. Mr Foley said the remains were hidden in a sack at the bottom of a ditch. Here is Shergar winning the Epsom Derby in 1981: Discover the real Ireland, how you can travel slow around the island, Dubliner adopted to New York at birth reunites with Irish family 63 years later, Catholic Church launches initiative encouraging young Irish men to consider priesthood, Killarney National Park in "terrible state" after years of neglect, conference hears, Great Famine Voices 2023 Launch New Season of Films, Ireland of the Welcomes' hot hotel: The Savoy Hotel Limerick, WATCH: 1916 Easter Rising footage featured in British Path online archives, Mustard and herb lamb chops with honey dressing recipe. But Richard Baerlein, the canny racing correspondent, was so convinced after witnessing Shergar and Swinburn cruise to a 10-length victory at Sandown in April 1981 that he urged punters to get in while the going was good. He became a breeding stallion in Ireland with an impressive fertility rate, and still attracted crowds. In a rare and exclusive interview last week, Mr Fitzgerald, now 78, frail and with a full head of white hair, quietly recalled the most terrifying moment of his life, as he was driven away from the stud by three armed men. Shergar, a beloved thoroughbred You can call me Arkle from now on, a voice told ITVs Derek Thompson when the phone eventually rang at 1.15 in the morning. They demanded a 5m ransom from the syndicate owning the horse, which included the Aga Khan. Something went wrong, please try again later. Inducted into the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame in 2011, First Down Dash is arguably the greatest race sire of all time. He was buried at the winning post of the Aintree Racecourse, which is still a destination for his fans. Our inquiries led photographer Julian Andrews and me to Ballinamore, a town in Co Leitrim once known as "the Falls Road of the South" because of its support for the Provos. A common belief is that Shergars remains are buried somewhere in that region of the country. It was left to each member to insure his own share. In coldly commercial terms, Shergar was an international commodity: breeding fees went for 80,000. Mr Foley, who still has the head, said he had not yet been to the police about the discovery, but planned to do so soon. Alison adds: "The letters also set the context for the period, and when we were fitting the jigsaw together, we never found a piece missing. The Late Late Show ran a special on emigration before Christmas. But it wasnt just any horse. He opened it to find two men wearing balaclavas wielding guns - one of them said, We have come for Shergar. Now, chief reporter Andrew Alderson has solved the mystery of Shergar's final hours, why his remains have never been found and uncovered the truth about the bungled ransom attempt that led to his demise. It was several minutes before the horse, which was in agony, slowly bled to death. Shergar, scheduled to cover up to 55 mares a year, has put 42 of his first 44 mares in foal. After driving him around for three hours, the kidnappers dumped Fitzgerald out of the car. "These were letters which set out not only what happened to Shergar, but also referred to the kidnapping of people.". Thompson is They insisted on dealing only with the Aga Khans office in Paris. An Irish councillor claims he had discovered the head of horse racing legend Shergar. Why Does My Horse Bob Is Head When I Put His Bridle On? But I couldnt get my head around the horse, and it brought it back to the fact that there is a fear of somebody saying something that would get them in trouble.