Theyre both there, however. Price and rust condition aside, this beaut needs a supercharged big block, a back half, then jump in and hang on! Heres where most people have an issue with French cars: the engine. Are you looking to buy your dream classic car? I miss that. I do agree that this one is not worth restoring as it is neither rare nor solid. Classics on Autotrader is your one-stop shop for the best classic cars, muscle cars, project cars, exotics, hot rods, classic trucks, and old cars for sale. Were 20 years into the 21st century. Rides smooth like a Caddy. save. *Saved From TX Roadside In 1969 *Renault 4CV Resort Special - 1 of 50 Bui, 1989 Renault Alpine GTA This matching number 1989 Renault Alpine GTA featured with 68,049 km on the. The seats were as comfy as lazy boys, but odd. It was so narrow one of us had to get out of the car and guide the driver. It would have been Renaults 1.4L inline-four and there are no photos of it, of course. north jersey. Perfect title,lost and forgotten! Later in life my English fianc had a RHD version which I got to drive while visiting her across the pond. How has that technology not landed yet? If they supplied parts, which was a big if.. My own bargain car was bought for $150 (circa 1982) with a messed-up transaxle. However, more, Sometimes, sellers are actually reasonable in their asking price of a long-forgotten barn find project; other times, despite their best efforts, the price is still too high. buying and selling classic and collector vehicles. Excellent original deluxe Le Car with full canvas sunroof! CL. Id love to get my hands on one. drunk logger in the backseat! I miss that, too. Nearly 5.5 million were built. I remember when these hit Milwaukee, we laughed, and had no idea it was a harbinger of things to come. 2014 Toyota RAV4 LE. This car would be a lot of stares and gas station chats for $3,500. Although the Renault 5 was a hugely successful vehicle, it is probably most remembered for its hot hatch form The R5 Turbo. Just do it! Seemed like it was fuel starved the majority of time. He noticed the popularity of the VW Beetle and its sister, the Karmann Ghia. cars & trucks. No, I need a car with a redeeming quality somewhere in its rust-tinged chassis to do that, so the LeCar is not for me but if you know someone who is a shrewd negotiator and likes French cuisine, maybe let them know this LeCar could use a lifeline. Lots of lean but no worry, you get used to it. Renault Twingo 1.2 AUTOMAAT 3-DOOR (ORIGINAL DUTCH) WITH O. This is an 1,850-pound car but that still isnt a lot of power. Top speed while passing on the German Autobahn was about 92 kph. Stepping back more, As we know, I have a history of buying and attempting to revitalize obscure projects. we had a beautiful sand colored one with the softest seats ever, not unlike citroen ds. Actually, it looks great, just a bit dirty. it was hard not to smile in that car. Special thanks to BaT reader Clint M. for this submission! You aint blowing smoke about the gasket. Continue with Recommended Cookies, We occasionally see repeat performances with classic cars here at Barn Finds, and that would appear to be the case with this 1983 Renault LeCar. Mine had rust onthe rear wheelwells when it was 2 years old. I personally love the styling but prefer the 5 door. for sale. Find it here on Facebook Marketplace. This would probably make a great succulent planter for those who collect these plants! A few tricky service issues aside, the real Achilles Heel were the rear brakes, adjusted manually by means of an eccentric cam Mine were almost constantly in need of a slight tweak. I drove it quite a bit and enjoyed it. I remember riding in these when they were just cheap used cars. All contents 2023 The best vintage and classic cars for sale online | Bring a Trailer, Privacy Notice Almost predictably, a series of fatal accidents resulted in Group B's (and its planned successor, Group S') cancellation, but despite the show grinding to a premature halt, relics of the series survived and many of them can be driven today. It had the canvas sun roof, A/C, and (more importantly) the anti-rollbars. They had potential. Bought a 1980 Turbo. Very cool. And I wondered why people would drive onto the shoulder as we passed them? Just assumed there were no more of them out there . truly the French know how to make a car not just a staple but a saloon to comfort you and give pleasure to your life. One of the most obvious choices was to get the population mobile and more, The Renault 16 or R16 is a car that is rarely seen in the United States and they were only officially sold here for the 1969 through 1972 model years. ), I go ahead and do it anyway. Known to many simply as the R5 Turbo, this car was homologated for Group B's lowest category, which had the lightest minimum weight but also the narrowest tires, and a displacement of no more than two liters for naturally aspirated cars or 1,428cc for turbo cars. I certainly do, and Im sure we have many readers who feel the same. Every car that is listed and really close to me are cars that I have 0 interest in. An example of data being processed may be a unique identifier stored in a cookie. Im seriously considering this lovely red one.. had a green one with ca emission choking, but what a ride! Restored-Original. Even in a dry ass climate like Australia, ours died of the dreaded tin worm and surface rust on these things tended to be less surface, and more indicating a panel so rotten a 4 year old child (me) could accidentally put a foot through a door panel. I too, still wish I had it. Im not sure Id touch one that was not already running and driving. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Please enable JavaScript to engage in the discussion on this site. Traded it for a 84 Coupe DeVille. I cant remember many mechanical issues. Classic cars for sale in the most trusted collector car marketplace in the world. Sports a Nitrous bottle for when he needs that little extra. When I returned the angry guy parked behind me had picked up with his buddies and placed it on the sidewalk. I doubt they could have solved Renaults U.S. problems, but they would have kept me as a customer. Wanted mazda rotary cars. The engine is free but the rear brakes are locked up; good luck to anyone who has to move it out of this barn. I was suitably terrified driving through Cornwall and Devon on narrow hedgerow lanes. I had a pair of French-spec lights, and was planning to put them on my Alpine-engined car, but that would have required sheetmetal changes I couldnt do myself, or afford to have done. 1963 V8 Ford Falcon Futura, Italian from Germany: 1966 Glas 1300 GT Coupe. CODE REN00023 Its seller claims to work on these cars regularly and to have performed a major service on this car only a few thousand miles ago, complete with what sounds like an engine overhaul and augmentation to 185 horsepower. Our R5 never missed a beat and never let us down. Le Marker Light. My family had three of them. The best in Gallic ingenuity and Space-Age thriftiness! Great gas mileage. Unfortunately, as with almost everything else, the top needs work. But, as mentioned, the rust. And yes, its broke down on day 9 of our 10 day vacation. It used a Garrett T2 turbocharger and produced 113 hp allowing a 0 60 of 7.5 seconds. Sometimes, sellers are actually reasonable in their asking price of a long-forgotten barn find project; other times, despite their best efforts, the price is still too high. Production of the R5 GT Turbo was discontinued in 1991. Thanks to Matt F. for sending in this tip! They quickly made a name for themselves in motor racing, notching up a string of wins in their Voiturettes. Finally we were across and the trail down slope was far easier. LinkedIn, . They were great, great fun, and despite what people like to say about them quite reliable. Revolutionary War history cannot be written without acknowledging French support from covert (though writ large) in 1776 to formal alliance written LARGE per Bob in Bexley. The Dauphine was a family of rear engined economy supermini cars available exclusively as a four door sedan fitted with a 845cc inline four engine. This era produced some lame econoboxes, all pretty generic, except the LeCar. Its a wet sleeved engine, while a good design isnt the easier to repair. No rot issues when I finally let the car go. That is what is on offer with this 1960 Renault 4CV. I drove my 2CV Dyane to a cruise night past a cabal of muscle cars and was greeted with Hey fifty bucks which brought a laugh until I fired back No thanks Ive seen your sister.. Never owned one, but French engineering was never second to anyones, witness the incredible Citroen 2CV DS, and SM. These cars were great fun and well put together for the era. Which vehicles used by the US in WWII would you have them use for blueprints? Its located in Ruidoso Downs, New Mexico. He dropped the can which then rolled under my Le Car and well you can guess how that turned out. To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. The seller calls this 1978 Renault Le Car a barn find, saying that it has been stored since 1984. The Renault 5 or R5 is a French super mini built between 1972 1996. I racked up some 150K miles on my first one, with no more trouble than a bent pushrod. Never say that even the. In 1985, Renault released the R5 GT Turbo which relied upon a engine designed in 1962, though modified for the GT. Miner were relatively dependable with the 1 big exception. They say that it was restored around 5-8 years ago and is now showing a bit of rust in the front fenders. Those days are behind me mostly as its just too much work to nurse oddball cars back to life, and usually for more, With a crisp, modern design unlike many cars from the early-1970s, Renault created what was, in my opinion, a very nice-looking car. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. The Dauphine was highly successful, and was not only used as the basis for . Get new comment updates via email. You could flip this for $2500 on Renault forums, easy, one commenter helpfully advised. A friend took a more direct route to more power: he bolted in the engine from a Euro-spec R5 Alpine, a slightly larger hemi-head unit good for 93 HP and a good bit more torque. When I had to do a quick stripdown of my first cars engine (a bent pushrod that a mechanic told me was something worse, so I rebuilt it myself), I somehow managed to lose the air pump, EGR, and tangle of vacuum lines. It is a solid LeCar which had come from California a few years earlier. Leave it where it is to rust in peace. Have any of you owned a Le Car or Renault 5? Available now is this excellent example of a Renault Alliance two-door convertible finished in black, Eastern Shore Classic Cars is excited to present this rare 1958 Renault Dauphine "Gordini". A clean 1st gen 4Runner will run 3x this price. It was widely acclaimed though was priced slightly higher than its peers. didnt run, stuffed a distributer in it, doubled my $200.00 investment. This person is lucky they dont have to sell it because it wont go for what hes asking for. Or subscribe without commenting. They do say that one of the rear wheels is locked, so add that to the list, but at least the next owner wont be spending a lot of time on interior restoration. This example is i, CLOSEOUT PRICE ON THIS COOL CONVERTIBLE its like going back in time!! Amazed me that an 83 car could still have a manual choke. You may certainly have to keep that trailer close by. Horrible cars. Send us a note: tips@thedrive.com. If you would like to change your settings or withdraw consent at any time, the link to do so is in our privacy policy accessible from our home page.. Ours was a proper R5, bright yellow with round lights. Price Unavailable Mileage Avg. RULES: No profanity, politics, or personal attacks. He bought it anyway. This, or a vaguely similar looking Ford Fiesta? And thats before we get to the engine. RULES: No profanity, politics, or personal attacks. Shifting it was was like throwing a hot dog down a hallway, you know, move it around and pray that you hit something. They were only made for a handful of model years and are rarely seen today, and more than a more, The French have a long and successful history of producing cars, many of which are iconic to this day. A very prominent Pontiac dealer, Phil Tolkan, sold these as a sideline, since actual AMC dealers were fading left and right. My dad had an 82 le car. As the years went on, the 5's would be seen with a constant change of engines and special editions with turbos that matched their rally counterparts back home in Europe. America saved your bacon in 2 world wars, and the motorized vehicles that we used should have been a good blueprint for success. Doh! Owner should scrap it now prices are still high. It was white with a black top that slid back. Become a member to add images to your comments. north jersey cars & trucks - craigslist. 1984 Renault 5 Turbo 2, craigslist Known to many simply as the R5 Turbo, this car was homologated for Group B's lowest category, which had the lightest minimum weight but also the narrowest. Worst piece of scrap metal ever produced up until the Yugo. The engine was mounted with the front towards the firewall, with the transmission right behind the grille. One of such relics is one of the smallest cars homologated for Group B: the Renault 5 Turbo. In 2016 The Journal, brought to you by ClassicCars.com, was celebrated as the SECOND MOST INFLUENTIAL automotive blog in the world by NFC Performance. Next time I get stopped, Im telling the law enforcement officer (In a thick accent) that I am Gordini Turbo. we will always have the fondest memories of our little lecar. Also, parts availability. When it died he got a 1973 Chevy Monte Carlo. **1985 Renault, 1990 Renault R4 Wagon The Renault 4, also known as the 4L, (pronounced "Quatrelle" in French), is a, RENAULT CLIO V6 3.0-2001 Other changes included the adoption of MacPherson struts in the suspension system. The only thing I hated was changing a starter. Still in the woods behind the house to this day. 2017 63,218 miles. Some of our partners may process your data as a part of their legitimate business interest without asking for consent. (Opt Out of Sale/Targeted Ads), BaT Auctions Presents: The Monterey Touring Vehicles Collection from Mohr Imports, Live from The BaT Alumni Gathering: Randy Nonnenberg on The Horsepower Heritage Podcast, 4/27 Video Inspiration: Lapping Le Mans In Dearborn. Ha. An M3 tank? Renault also offered a 5-door version of the Le Car for those folks with a need to haul people in the back seat without having them crouch down and tumble over the front seats. New listings are added daily. Cant build cars, cant fight the Germans. 1963 V8 Ford Falcon Futura, Italian from Germany: 1966 Glas 1300 GT Coupe. The Renault 5 came to America in 1976 and was renamed Le Car by American Motors Marketing, and promptly distributed the diminutive economy car through AMC's 1300 dealers nationwide. Renault sold all sorts of goodies for these: antiroll bars, 5-speed transaxles, the Alpine engine, wider wheels, and much more. What happened was the Idiot parked next to me was dripping gas into his carburetor from a gallon gas can and his car backfired igniting the gas can.