I have a wide range of medical interests. I am originally from a small rural town outside of Grand Junction, Colorado. In addition to medicine, I love being outdoors hiking, biking, and traveling to the beach or the lake. I grew up in the Garner area and completed my bachelor's degree at Campbell University, majoring in Pre-Professional Biology and minoring in chemistry. Our practice has a long relationship with MAHEC through teaching residents on ID rotations as well as speaking regular at conferences. We accept applications to the Categorical, Physician Scientist and Preliminary Residency tracks through January 2023. experiences. Pharmacy services through co-payments. The residents are partnered together in practice partnerships so that one of the partners is always in clinic that week and manages outpatient responsibilities for the patient panels during that time. We use a deliberate practice model in which learners set milestone based goals, work to develop knowledge, skills and attitudes with direct observation and feedback from faculty, seniors and team members, and then based on feedback, set new goals. Fellowship: General Internal Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham Then, most residents were males and most nurses were females. Chief Resident: Internal Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA We enjoy traveling, camping, running, hiking, and swimming as well as exploring all the joys of Western North Carolina. Residency Director: Dr. Richard Pinsker. My greatest blessings in this life are my family and friends, my ability to help many people less fortunate than myself, and my time traveling and being outdoors. I enjoyed a diversity of clinical experiences in participating in the management of patients in Israel, Canada, America, and Nepal. My name is Tyler Wenger and Im thrilled to be joining the MAHEC Internal Medicine team! Im Elaina and I am beyond excited to be joining MAHEC! I moved to Asheville with a one year old and a three year old - it was a wonderful place to relocate my family, but I missed academic medicine. In his clinical experience at Grady Hospital in Atlanta, a comprehensive HIV clinic, and a clinic for low-income seniors, he has obtained the clinical skills and knowledge to independently manage a broad range of health concerns. I graduated from Appalachian State University with a degree in chemistry before attending medical school at Campbell University. colleague; we will grow together as we learn how to balance professional commitment and personal growth. Sign your contract. I love the variety of inpatient and outpatient medicine, the pathology, and of course the patients. Residency: Internal Medicine, University of Utah, SLC I also have a passion for travel. Dr. Stephanie Call was recruited to start the Internal Medicine Training Program at MAHEC in the fall of 2019. He also served as an internal consultant for HIV and hepatitis C treatment, in a setting where external referrals were often cost-prohibitive for patients. Through the guidance of several mentors, I found a love for internal medicine. As a Coloradan native, I love being outdoors and in the sunshine! The space has been designed to support a collaborative care model which includes behavioral health and pharmacy services. Hello everyone! Associate Program Director. Residency: Emergency and Internal Medicine, Louisiana State University Residency: Northside Hospital/ USF Morsani College of Medicine. I attended medical school at Florida State University College of Medicine due to their mission of training future patient-centered physicians, educators, and community leaders. When I am not here, you can find me traveling with my husband and my three girls we will usually be in a National Park or overseas! MAHEC's Biltmore campus houses residency training programs in family medicine, internal medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, general surgery, pharmacy, and dentistry. Im a North Carolina native from the suburbs of Charlotte. Outside of medicine, I love to travelhopefully, one day, I will make it to all seven continentsand, of course, hiking as many trails as I can find in Western North Carolina. Sinai before returning to run our ICU. The brand new internal medicine residency clinic is housed in the MAHEC Family Health Center building and includes 42 exam rooms, laboratory and radiology facilities, large spaces for precepting and teaching, a group visit space, and a resident workroom. My career has been spent working to improve care of the underserved. Internal Medicine Residency Program Staten Island, New York Name: Keisha Daniels-Murrell. at George Washington University. Out of the office, I am happily surrounded by the commotion of four young daughters, a supportive wife, and the male companionship of a shih tzu toy dog. Fellowship: (Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism): Maine Medical Center (University of Vermont School of Medicine; currently Tufts School of Medicine) (1994). Outside of medicine, I am an avid outdoor enthusiast. Past faculty appointments: Professor of Medicine, University of Cincinnati Program Director of the Combined Internal Medicine and Pediatrics Residency Program in Cincinnati Program Director of the Combined Internal Medicine and Pediatrics Residency Program in Cincinnati. partnership with Mission Hospital, where our residents will care for patients on medicine services, ICUs, cardiology After completing residency with MAHEC, I am eager to get back to my roots by building a career as a general internist in a rural, agricultural community. Since 4th grade, Florida has been my home. Full access is free for physicians and medical students Program Coordinators Keisha Daniels-Murrell (718) 818-1645 Email. On a personal note I have two children, Ellie and Brooks, that have loved growing up in WNC where my parents are also located. Dr. Smith has practiced rheumatology at Asheville Arthritis & Osteoporosis Center since 1999, caring for adults and children of all ages. As an avid climber and hiker, I knew he could not stay in the pancake state forever. She has been working for several years as a hospitalist and a also as a physician advisor to case management. I joined Asheville Pulmonary Associates in 2018 after moving to the area post training. I was later accepted to Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine (CUSOM) to obtain my DO degree. This was a global health-focused MD program that attracted students from around the world. The MSU Veterinary Medical Center was originally built in 1965, with various additions and upgrades throughout the decades. Medical School: University of Florida. Past Faculty Appointments: Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Tennessee Graduate School of Medicine, Associate Program Director of Internal Medicine, University of Tennessee Graduate School of Medicine Program Director Internal Medicine Residency, University of Tennessee Graduate School of Medicine. I moved to Atlanta, Georgia in 2008 after high school to attend Georgia Tech where I obtained my B.S. Staten Island, NY 10310 Other roles included ward team attending, student clinic attending, and humanism in medicine preceptor. I love to bake, make kombucha, sew and garden. Her favorite teaching topics are bedside physical examination, evidence-based medicine, diagnostic reasoning and resilience/reflection. Undergraduate: BS in Biology at UNC-Chapel Hill Graduates of medical schools outside the United States and Canada must have a currently valid certificate from ECFMG. USMLE STEP 1 . They are in clinic 3 days per week on A blocks. Once I started clinical rotations, I found immense joy working in various subspecialities with the adult population and found myself eager to pursue a career in Internal Medicine with a particular passion for geriatric care. and we are thrilled to join their family of residency programs. We are deeply invested in increasing the Internal Medicine passing rates by emphasizing diverse and stimulating educational activities, while maintaining a high quality care for our patients. When I interviewed with MAHEC, I immediately fell in love. Call is a trained facilitator in the Stanford Clinical Teaching Framework and has significant expertise in faculty development in clinical teaching and assessment, including running teaching workshops as far as Qatar and Brazil. She received a Masters of Public Health degree from Boston University School of Public Health (BUSPH) in 1996 after which she worked as an international consultant in several countries in Africa and Mexico and Central America. Throughout my training I gravitated towards critically ill patients requiring acute interventions. Faculty Appointments: University of North Carolina School of Medicine. After graduating, I decided to pursue medicine because I felt that it was the perfect bridge between the sciences and humanities. I was thrilled to be invited to be a part of the teaching faculty for the MAHEC family medicine residents about a year after arriving. Dr. Dill is passionate about a humanistic approach to care and pursues team-based approaches to provide the best possible patient care. During this time, I took a particular interest in synthetic organic chemistry, focusing on developing new methods for organic semiconductors used in medical imaging devices and solar panels. Mountain Area Health Education Center (MAHEC) was established in 1974 and serves a 16-county region in Western North Carolina. Throughout his career, Dr. Livingston has sought to be an empowered generalist connecting underserved patients to the highest quality care. Internship: Emergency and Internal Medicine, Louisiana State University View our VISITOR POLICY. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Hi! Over the past 12 years, I have had the chance to work with MAHEC by teaching residents, speaking at conferences, and advising the interns of the Minority Medical Mentorship Program. So far, I have been to Portugal, France, the United Kingdom, Spain, and Honduras. Jason Zolak, MD. I had about 18 months off between undergraduate and medical school in which I worked part-time with the Indian Health Services and the National Ski Patrol in addition to my work as a CNA. Her interests include whole-person care, complex medical-psychosocial situations, care transitions, and collaborative interprofessional care. My wife runs a Neurology practice locally and we have two sons. I am passionate about the patient-centered approach to medicine, mental health and well-being of medical professionals, and becoming a clinician-educator. Staten Island, NY 10310 Resident Survey: "What I wish I knew BEFORE residency" GET STARTED! I then attended the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, specifically focusing on rural medicine with the Wisconsin Academy of Rural Medicine program. Residency: Montefiore Medical Center, Primary Care and Social Medicine. Passed USMLE Steps 1 and 2 or COMLEX 1 and 2 within three attempts, as required by the North Carolina Medical Board. For more information, please see our Their approach is inclusive, caring, dedicated and open. I look forward to being an active part of closing the gap in health outcomes for our most vulnerable populations as well as helping future generations understand that racial equity is a key part of our communitys health. She is a graduate of our Internal Medicine Residency Program of 2008. As a former resident of Jasper, GA, at the southern end of the Blue Ridge Mountains, I am delighted to be living in the mountains again! Applicants must successfully pass both Step 1 (basic medical) and Step 2 (clinical knowledge and skills) of the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE). I am excited to be creating the procedural curriculum here at MAHEC. Internship: Internal Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham Services were added with the progressive increase in full-time teaching staff and the quality of the education improved along with the ABIM passing rate. I fell in love with the natural beauty of the city, the delicious eats, picturesque outdoors, and everything the city has to offer. VCU Medical Center is home to Virginia's only Level 1 trauma center certified in adult, pediatric and burn care, which sees more than 100,000 patients each year. The Richmond Internal Medicine Residency Programis an ACGME fully-accredited and approved three-year training program designed to accommodate physicians who are interested in Primary Care or entering any of the variety of internal medicine subspecialty fellowships. Past Faculty Appointments: Assistant Professor, Emory University School of Medicine at Grady Memorial Hospital and the Grady Infectious Disease Program (IDP). I have been waiting for this opportunity to come to WNC since I arrived and cannot think of a better organization to partner with to help educate the next generation of internal medicine physicians. Between rounds, youll likely find me walking my aussie-doodle puppy named Chessie, doing trivia, playing guitar on my porch, or playing board games with my fiance and anyone else I can get to join. I lived in Gainesville while at UF, and worked in Ocala as an RN on the weekends. I reluctantly left that warm teaching atmosphere and came to Asheville NC in order to be closer my family, because of the strong reputation of Mission Hospital and its staff, and for the many recreational and life opportunities that WNC has to offer. Medical School: Mercer University, Macon Campus He achieved distinction as Assistant Professor and Senior Physician and was recognized by the house staff with the Annette Bernard Outpatient Teaching Award. A fun fact is that I was featured on BBC, Time Magazine, Forbes, Healthline, and Medscape for my research on essential oils and how they may contribute to breast growth in adolescents! I started my career doing both laboratory and clinical research in HIV, immunology, and tuberculosis. It is professionally fulfilling to precept residents and enable them to transform into bright and responsive medicine clinicians. ), any live sports, bike riding, being in the water, and spending time with my husband and our puppies. Although I was born in Madrid, Spain and raised in the South Pacific (Kwajalein, Marshall Island), I am a long term resident of North Carolina who has been fortunate to call Asheville home since 1999. I also run our procedure clinic where we perform a host of dermatologic and musculoskeletal procedures. I am originally from Green Bay, WI and grew always playing sports, especially baseball and hockey. Foundational experiences at a small-town community pharmacy and an Internal Medicine Clinic helped me recognize that my pharmacy passion is to help manage chronic conditions for vulnerable patient populations. Cookie Notice I enjoy hiking, biking, running, kayaking, fishing, and watching professional sports (NFL/NBA/NHL/MLB). I obtained my undergraduate degree in Biological Sciences at Colorado Mesa University. 1 yr. ago. I have a variety of hobbies but primarily Ive been focusing my energy on learning to climb. 355 Bard Ave Undergraduate: Furman University, Greenville, SC Outside of medicine, I love traveling (both domestically and abroad), photography, reading, musical theater, and what I lovingly call dirt church in other words, spending time in the good ol outdoors! MAHECs approach to caring for patients is based on an advanced care team model. Complete training modules by May 31. Graduate School: University of Alabama at Birmingham, MA/PhD in Developmental Psychology I often go to the gym and enjoy hiking during my free time, as staying fit and healthy is something I value greatly. The ideal applicant will have single-attempt scores above 200 for USMLE Step 1 and 215 for USMLE Step 2 CK, or above 500 on each of COMLEX 1 and 2CE. My children are old enough to hike a few miles, and still young enough to laugh at dad jokes. I am very glad to be a faculty member and work in such a remarkable institution. Manager - Once a learner reaches competency in all learner-level milestones, they advance to the manager phase of training. We will proceed in the 2022-23 match season in alignment with the AAIM Recommendations for the 2022-2023 Internal Medicine Residency Interview Season. Our Internal Medicine Residency Program aims to train and educate diverse, well-rounded, competent, caring, compassionate physician leaders who: Our program is designed in a competency-based advancement structure. My name is Sharidan Maxwell Hill. I also love the great outdoors with activities like rock climbing (specifically bouldering), hiking, camping, and most sports. Medical School: Med University of South Carolina John and Stacey are clinic partners. I have been involved in academics my entire life in one form or another. Fortunately, these are all some of Asheville's specialties as well! The schematic below represents two residents schedules for the first 16 weeks of a year. I am so excited to now move to Asheville and get to experience western North Carolina with the rest of my fellow residents at MAHEC! We frequently take advantage of the gorgeous outdoors by canoeing, gardening, hiking, and grilling out. In addition to health and wellness, my interests include artistry of all forms, from painting to culinary arts, and enjoying the amazing natural beauty of our region through hiking, biking, and watersports. Internal Medicine Residency Program Coordinator. Internship: Internal Medicine, University of Utah, SLC Currently we have: 16 PGY 2 categorical residents. Chief Resident: Internal Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham Another goal we share is empowering people to take an active role in their well-being through lifestyle and preventative medicine! Program and Grants Committee, the Dogwood Health Trust, Asheville, NC, Tours of outpatient clinic and Mission Hospital, Informal resident meet and greet scheduled separately from interview date, Be a graduate of a medical school in the United States or Canada, accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME); or, Be a graduate of a college of osteopathic medicine in the United States, accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA); or. Chief Resident: Internal Medicine, Emory Hospital, Atlanta, GA And we are both exceptionally excited to get to know our co-residents and the people of Asheville during this next adventure! IMGPrep assists International Medical Graduates in searching for U.S residency positions. I traveled to Asheville and fell in love with the beautiful scenery and all the amazing breweries in the area. Dr. Livingstons experience in urban settings parallels the challenging environment that physicians often face in rural settings. IM@mahec.net. Being interested in primary care, I wanted a program with strong ambulatory training and a comprehensive multi-disciplinary continuity clinic. Undergraduate: Rhodes College, Memphis TN Deadline 12/15/2022 . ACGME is moving towards a new accreditation system (NAS) in July 2013 and the Internal Medicine Residency program is preparing itself . experiences that put you in the heart of the communities of Western North Carolina as well as opportunities to play A third wave will be released on November 15th . Asheville is my home now after more than 30 years. In Asheville, I hope to live a more active lifestyle, enjoy great vegetarian food, experience all four seasons, and immerse myself in the culture of a charming southern city. Residents in the Internal Medicine Residency Program at University Hospitals receive comprehensive education, exceptional clinical training and unique ABIM research experiences. Medical School: University of Connecticut School of Medicine After that, I worked as a medical librarian for 5 years before pursuing medical school at UNC School of Medicine. Residency: University of Texas Southwestern MAHEC's policies and procedures regarding graduates of international medical schools comply with federal and state laws and regulations and MAHEC's commitment to graduate medical education. 718-206-6768 tel. She was the Program Director for the Combined Internal Medicine-Pediatrics residency for many years, during which time the residency became one of the most successful in the country, but it was the opportunity to provide a challenging yet secure training environment that motivated her most. Medical School: College of Osteopathic Medicine of the . Application Process for the Internal Medicine Residency. Infectious diseases and Infection Prevention are two of my great passions. IM training has been a missing piece. It seems like my whole life has been preparing me for this opportunity to come to Asheville and work with our new internal medicine residency. Program Director, Chief of Critical Care and Clinical Medicine, Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine at NYMC. Located in an urban hospital setting, VCU's Emergency Medicine Residency offers the opportunity to work alongside some of the brightest medical minds in the country. I was drawn to the dedication, innovation, and balance that I found in the residents and faculty at this program. My love for volleyball took me to Furman University in Greenville, SC, for my undergraduate degree where I studied Health Sciences.