2023 BuzzFeed, Inc. All rights reserved. A place that's boiling over with positive energy and a focus on community building. Families are invited to take a spin, Fri.-Sun, and classes are offered for kids every Sat., noon-12:45 p.m. The best skating floor around! New owners are continuing The Rink's 45 year history. ), here are four Chicagoland rinks worth taking a spin at. No worries; they offer private lessons, too.). If skaters do not have their own face mask, we have them available for $1. Even if you arent the sturdiest thing on two wheels, Chicago mainstays like The Rink will make you want to lace up and give it a go. Family-owned Lombard Roller Rink offers a clean, friendly environment to introduce kids to skating. Roller Skating has always been, and continues to be, . Its friends and family fun time at The Dr. MLK Skating and Bowling Center! We are THE #1 place in Chicago for kids birthday parties, STEM Field Trips, fundraisers for your schools and groups, exercise, and family fun for all! "For the most part a skating rink is a skating rink, they have the obvious, a place to skate, skates." more. 4% 1 star. in Summit IL, located just outside Chicago's city limits. Many Chicago skaters who were featured in Roll Bounce, including Elon Larkin, are still skating in Chicago today. The outdoor ribbon is open Apr. The growth of suburbs after World War II meant that roller skating rinks spread out of the cities, too. This is a review for skating rinks in Chicago, IL: "Word to everything about WCR. }else{ Chicago Girls' Rink Roller Skates - White 11. . [1950s promotional film produced by the Chicago Roller Skate Co. and Pepsi-Cola] IV. The best time for families to check out this sweet rink is Sat., Sun. Dozens of people roller skate in The Rink at 1122 E. 87th St.. For decades, the Chatham neighborhood venue has been a hub for "JB" skating, a style inspired by the smooth dance moves of singer . It was located at 2528 Belmont in Chicago where DeVry University sits today. Located just outside Chicago in Summit, Fleetwood is celebrating nearly 65 years of showing families a good time. Roller Wave NYC's new location has a maximum occupancy of 975 and a 9,000 square-foot rink. 1122 E. 87th St., Chatham; Online: therinkchicago.com, A post shared by Tran Nguyen-Loek (@trannguyen19). People also searched for these in Chicago: What are people saying about skating rinks in Chicago, IL? Although it has recently changed ownership, the new owners, Ramona and Curtis, are committed to keeping this Chatham neighborhood staple as it's always been. 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm. Between their two rinks (the other ones in Glenwood), this family has been in business for more than 50 years. 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm. When I was learning to skate, their JB Session on Wednesdays from 9pm-1am inspired fear and excitement in my heart. // ]]> 2023 Chicago Park District. Roller Skating has always been, and continues to be, a great source of family recreation and aerobic exercise!!! My friend and I were talking (more like reminiscing) about the good old roller skating days.more, Amateur Sports TeamsCommunity Service/Non-ProfitLogan Square, Start casually skating now, volunteer, join a roller skating speed team, come to bouts and nextmore, and friendly and even adjusted the roller skates for me that I brought with me prior to the lesson.more, Had daughters birthday party. Afterward, visit the Fine Arts Display Case on the 2nd floor to catch a glimpse of the hotel's vintage skates. Fleetwood Roller Rink in Summit, IL, is the perfect place for birthdays, private parties, fundraisersor just a fun night out with friends. Music, games and pizza, pizza, pizza make for good old-fashioned fun at this west suburban hotspot. Durkin Roller Hockey/Skating Rink. 656 Holbrook Rd., Glenwood; Online: glenwoodrollerrinkinc.net. Once youve gotten your fill of skating, you can swap your wheels for bowling shoes or hit the arcade for gaming. and Wed. CLICK HERE FOR SPECIAL EVENTS AND PROMOTIONS, "Very clean, organized and respectful family owned little gem. The rinks became more modernized during this time. Get Roller Skating Rinks listings phone numbers, driving directions, business addresses, maps and more. Get information on house rules, birthdays, general details, how it all works, and more. Privacy Policy, By signing up to Tinybeans newsletters you agree to our Terms and If you're just coming to see the dancing, the best time to catch skaters stunting is between 11 p.m.- 1 a.m. Below are three rinks that truly represent the heart of Chicago skate culture today. It is also famous for being the site of Dwayne Wade's 2007 birthday party. Family Skating is after that from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. #kv_container { Why charge for someone who is basically just chaperoningmore, but the inside is the total opposite along with the rocky parking.The skating area is very patchy asmore, A few parents wanted to stay for a bit and snap a few pics of there kids roller skating.more, The truth is, I had fun, but that's because I like roller skating and I loved holding my daughter'smore, I'm really glad Yelp hasn't consolidated the skating rink with the rest of the park, because themore, Skating RinksBowlingParty & Event PlanningAuburn Gresham, Overall I was impressed, I don't know how much roller skating we plan on doing, but would definitelymore, Coachlite is a roller skating center that likely has not been updated for the years it's been open.more. Overall fun experience but was disappointed they charge $8 per adult for basically nothing. Fleetwood Roller Rink 78 Skating Rinks "The skating rink should be a place of enjoyment, fun and most of all safety, most rinks I have." more 2. ", "Love this place! Beginners can take lessons every Sat., noon-1 p.m. 34W113 Montgomery Rd., Aurora; Online: skateaurora.com, A post shared by Kelly Realmuto (@kellyisarealtor). CHICO Spinning Wheels Roller Skating Rink, 172 E. 7th Ave., Chico COLTON Whirl-D Roller Skating Rink, Colton COSTA MESA Harbor Roller Rink, 1726 Superior Ave., Costa Mesa COVINO Covino Park Roller Rink, Covino CULVER CITY Rollerdrome (Culver City), 11105 Washington Place, Culver City EL CAJON Skate San Diego / RSportz Arena, 165 Denny Way, El Cajon and Tues. On Tues., order a large pizza, a pitcher of soda and your skate rentals for up to 4 people for $38. We offer skating sessions for every age, as well as skating lessons. Top 10 Best Indoor Skating Rink in Chicago, IL - April 2023 - Yelp Best indoor skating rink near me in Chicago, Illinois Sort:Recommended Price Open Now Good for Kids 1. While there's plenty to keep your kiddos occupied, the rink is the fun center's main attraction, and rightfully so! Family owned and operated is more than a tagline; its a way of life for the Quitter family. formId: "acc781a7-d0b4-433d-bc7f-c5bac12f3766" Roller skating rinks began springing up around the country in the late 1880s but reached peak popularity in the 1950s and 1960s. (Mike Shane/Atlantic Terminal/Mike Shane/Atlantic Terminal) After attending a roller skating party in . Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Roller Skating and Bowling Center. Copyright 2022, The Rink. With a half acre beautiful wood floor, awesome light shows, sound system and stellar well trained staff, redemption center, Orbit is your place for family entertainment in the Chicago area. 17658 S. Oak Park Ave., Tinley Park; Online: tinleyrink.com. Lynwood Sport Centers space took a star turn as the Sweetwater Roller Rink in the 70s coming-of-age (and disco-tastic) film, Roll Bounce. If you haven't been skating recently, we invite you to visit our Town of Cicero Skating Rinks City, Village & Township Government Website Amenities: (708) 477-6875 3400 S 53rd Ave Cicero, IL 60804 12. We will NOT be returning there! 64% 4 stars. 18% 4.0. Krol Productions, If you haven't been skating recently, we invite you to visit our. Glenwood Roller Rink in Glenwood, IL is home to the most sophisticated and advanced styles of JB. The Rink has served the community for almost 50 years. Every day is an opportunity to create new stories. MLK Skating is a city icon and a popular destination for birthday parties and school field trips. Admission for the Family Skating session only is $6 and Skate Rental is $1. facility. Fleetwood Roller Rink 78 Skating Rinks "My friend and I were talking (more like reminiscing) about the good old roller skating days." more 2. 0% 2 stars. (Not feeling the scrutiny of the public eye? Introduce your kids to this slick part of Chicagos history and impress them with your 8-wheeled dance moves at these local hangouts. The Rink is the premier Chicago skating facility. Skate Sessions: 11:00 am - 1:00 pm. 1219 W. 76th St., South Side; Online: unitedskates.com. Free shipping for many products! "Great family vibe on Sat nights! They also typically open on school holidays, so follow them on Facebook to stay up-to-date on schedule changes. Chicago Parent, as a Zoe Communications Group company, is certified as a Womens Business Enterprise by the Womens Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC), the nations largest third-party certifier of businesses owned and operated by women. Our roller skating surface is beautiful hard wood maple. Just steps away from the city proper, the kid-friendly classes on Saturday mornings welcome skaters of all age and skill ranges. Lynwood Sport Center has a cinematic history as the rink was featured in the movie Roll Bounce released in 2005. Address. School & Group Packages for All Sizes and Reasons! The brothers reconvened and dumped their three-wheel skate in favor of the four-wheel 1907 "Model . Chicago has a rich roller skating history rooted in the James Brown JB style, known for elaborate footwork. Lombard Roller Rink in Lombard, IL also has JB night on Mondays, but is more widely know for their artistic skate culture. The Chicago Park District has six roller hockey rinks located at parks throughout the city. Fleetwood Roller Rink is a great fit for skaters of all abilities. If you have memories of roller skating at Riverview, please share them in the comment box below. Get Roller Skating Rinks listings phone numbers, driving directions, business addresses, maps and more. Chicago, along with Atlanta and Detroit, houses the most prolific urban roller skate dance scene in the country. Map & Listings Filter Martin Luther King Family Entertainment Center Roller Rink 1200 W. 77th St. Chicago, IL 60620 Show on Map If you haven't been skating recently, we invite you to visit our newly renovated facility. What did people search for similar to roller skating in Chicago, IL? The Rink follows CDC and Chicago Health Department Covid-19 guidelines. Theres glow skate sessions on Saturdays and tons of special events on wheels, like the Princess and Fairy Breakfast Party Skate, Fun Character Skate and other themed skate sessions. 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm. Also kids were falling everywhere left and right, would of been nice to have some kind of roller skate instructions for kids who never skated before.". newly renovated Many rinks were social hubs that hosted everything from kids' birthday parties to roller derby and dance parties. Come visit us or schedule your next private event or birthday party today. The Cheap Skate will always have a place in my heart, but now that I'm all grown up I can finally do the Adults Skate on Mondays from 9 a.m.-1p.m. If our guests temperature is 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher, they will be invited to skate at a later date, when free of symptoms. 1122 E 87th Street, Chicago, Illinois 60619, United States, Add a footnote if this applies to your business. If you come for class you are welcome to stay for the Family Skating session at no additional charge. Feeling a bit shaky on 8 wheels? Please visit www.maggiedaleypark.com for the holiday schedule, pricing, and to register to skate. All-ages skating classes are followed up by Saturday afternoon family skates, but if you feel like leaving the kids at home, The Rink features skate times for the 30 and over crowd the kind wholl appreciate the Old School Hour and Throwback Tuesdays hip-hop greatness. document.write('

Custom CSS Code is in Here. 1:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m. 1200 W. 77th St. 4. If you want to get out on the floor, arrive early while attendance is low. ", 2022 All Rights Reserved | Fleetwood Roller Rink, Site developed and maintained by We are the only African-American-owned roller skating rink in Illinois. If anyone seriously does want to join, this league was founded by people who learned to skate from scratch! If you live outside of Chicago check out Skategroove for a rink in your area. While theres plenty to keep your kiddos occupied, the rink is the fun centers main attraction, and rightfully so! Check their calendar to plan your next visit. State of Illinois unclaimed property auction starts May 1, Chicago radio host describes dodging bullets in New Orleans shooting. While rinks are few and far between, you can still get your glide on at select retro-fun spots that have stood the test of time. Note: due to planned renovations along with vandalism in November, The Rink is closed with a re-grand opening planned for March. The roller skating tradition is four generations deep in cities like Chicago. The Rink was first opened in 1974 by then-husband and wife duo Carmen Clark and Nate Simpson. Hours Notes. United States, Chicago Park DistrictBoard of CommissionersRosa Escareo, General Superintendent & CEO. "It was my first time and it was fun! It is also famous for being the site of Dwayne Wade's 2007 birthday party. Infuse a bit of fresh air into your skate session at Maggie Daley's Skating Ribbon. When you hit The Rink in Chicago, a premier venue that's been operating for more than 45 years, expect to be surrounded by roller skaters . I had artistic quality skates and won awards for freestyle and figure skating. The idea was born from a desire to bring entertainment options a little closer to home, as they were always driving to the suburbs for a family night out. Welcome to the website for Fleetwood Roller Stating Rink in Summit IL, located just outside Chicago's city limits. Start casually skating now, volunteer, join a roller skating speed team, come to bouts and next spring you'll have a great shot. It wasn't until 1937 that Roller Skating, the sport, was organized nationally by the Roller Skate Rink Owner's Association resulting in roller skating's golden age. Skating Plus. Find Roller Skating Rinks listings in Chicago, Illinois. Glide your way around the rink to sounds of the top 40 every Sat. The rink is open for all ages Tues.-Sun., with Glow skating every Saturday. Rentals are available for both. 12 S. Michigan Ave., Loop; Online: chicagoathleticevents.com, Featured photo: Alexander Belyaev via Pixabay, Themed Restaurants Every Chicago Family Should Try, 6 Parent-Focused Podcasts Hosted by Chicago Moms & Dads, Meal Delivery Services Every Chicago Family Should Try, Dine & Dash: Meal Delivery Services for Busy Chicago Families, By signing up to Tinybeans newsletters you agree to our Terms and A post shared by Shelly Jenee (@shellyjenee_). The unique Bavarian influenced architecture made it my location of choice for my film, Rocket to Danger. 8445 S. Kolin Ave. Chicago, IL 60652 United States . Just beware of the All Ages sessions on weekend afternoons where you might get creamed by a 6-year-old in rentals. Do Not Edit this Text

'); Turn skating into a date-night (or day) opportunity with Chicago Athletic Association hotel's pop-up skate events. Slide-in for open skate on Wed. and Fri.-Sun. Contributors control their own work and posted freely to our site. Copyright 20042023 Yelp Inc. Yelp, , and related marks are registered trademarks of Yelp. In 2009 I made a short film inspired by the Chicago roller skate scene, and got an education in the art form from my skate coach and mentor, Elon Larkin. There are precious few roller rinks left in the Chicago area and now there will be even fewer as Lombard Roller Rink is set to close later this spring. }); Chicago Parent is Chicagolands trusted parenting hub since 1984. We strive for excellence and a dedication to promoting a healthy and safe environment for all our skaters . 1291 W. Berwyn Ave., Roselle; Online: coachliteskate.com. And they were a place where many couples met and eventually married. Youll be whipping around the rink in no time! Did you know that Riverview Amusement Park had a roller skating rink? Enjoy discounts and offers available only to our exclusive members! "The few left are relics and we should appreciate them while we have them," said Dan Lund of the Elmhurst History Museum. You can purchase e-Gift Cards for $10 and up.Everyone Loves Something a Little Special!Use them for admission, birthday parties, cafe, video games & more! Lynwood Roller Rink in Lynwood, IL was the site of the 2005 film Roll Bounce. Johnny's IceHouse East 24 If you have first-timers in your group, lessons are offered for all ages, Sat., 10:30 a.m.-noon. document.write('

'); Call us: 708-458-0300 . They also offer an artistic skating club that competes in several disciplines and at all levels. My friend and I were talking (more like reminiscing) about the good old roller skating days.more, Save your money people, there are better roller rinks out there!! He was amore, Nothing beats skating through downtown Chicago in a middle of the pandemic so the rink is prettymore, Skating RinksBowlingParty & Event PlanningAuburn Gresham, Overall I was impressed, I don't know how much roller skating we plan on doing, but would definitelymore. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Family Entertainment Centeroffers Roller Skating, Bowling, an Awesome Game Room, The World's Greatest Birthday Parties, and a Great Cafe! Rich City Rink in Richton Park, IL is run by brothers with a passion for skating. Privacy Policy, Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to email a link to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on Copy (Opens in new window), By signing up to Tinybeans newsletters you agree to our, The Best Family Tents for Your Next Camping Adventure, Biking with Kids: The 17 Best Family Cargo Bikes, The Best Mothers Day Sales (Because She Raised You to Shop Smart), Brett Goldstein & Oscar Have a Grouch-Off in Newest Sesame Street Clip, Viral Video of Grown Man Melting Down Over Crying Baby on an Airplane Is Bananas, Mom Takes Advantage of Cat & Jack Target Return Policy to Score $750 Refund, The Trailer for Hunger Games Prequel Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes Trailer Is Here, Jason Kelces Wife Posts Hilarious TikTok of All the Ways He Cared for Himself During Labor. We throw some wheely awesome birthday parties.