The Tesla Model S seems to fall somewhere in the middle. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. You get my point. Manage Settings You can expect problems like uneven tread wear on the tires and the wheel to pull on one side to be one of the primary symptoms. If you hear squealing when turning to pull into a parking spot, it could be an alignment issue. Sounds like the OP's problem. Bad Power Steering Rack. Yes. So, if you are interested in learning more, follow along. 8a. Buyers Guide: The Best Tire Inflators We Tested This Year, Buyers Guide: The Best Tire Pressure Gauges. For this work, you will need some jack stands to lift the front end and secure it. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. Steering in hard turn causes clicking/popping- This is caused by an oversized bolt that may need replacement. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. The car will not be happy with the new component. to prevent rubbing. A vehicles suspension is designed to take the brunt of everyday driving while providing a smooth ride. While not a high priority this is something Tesla could improve. This thread is archived New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast 2 OK I made an appointment for this Thursday. The next thing to do is the control arm. Privacy Policy. All rights reserved. What is expensive is the steering rack. Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. There is an inner tie rod and an outer tie rod. So, when you hear a clunking noise when turning, check out these ball joints. I have yet to hear back from Tesla. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. Need to call service? But more on that in a bit. While there could be a wide range of issues causing your vehicle to make noise while turning, we break down some of the most common causes below: Suspension Joints: Often heard at lower speeds, creaking, clunking, or popping is an indication of worn-out suspension joints. Anyways I did go ahead and ask if that would cause any issues again down the line and I was told no and not to worry. Sounds as a classic CV joint problem. And as time goes, they start to crack and let dust and other impurities enter inside. As we noted, this means that there is something wrong with the suspension of the vehicle. wheel area whenever I step on/off accelerator at slow speeds. Any idea what this could be? When wheel bearings go bad, they cause friction between two moving metal parts of your car. By Posted could you please confirm your attendance to the meeting In self awareness group activities While such objects could eventually dislodge, theyre more likely to slowly bleed air from the tire, causing uneven wear and annoying trips to the gas station air pump. So, these sway bars are connecting both of the sides of the vehicle and make sure that it doesnt go everywhere and make you lose control. If anyone can tell me how to upload my video id be happy to do it. Schedule an appointment at Tesla. We would hear it/experience it most at slow speed and when turning the wheel significantly or when on un-even road surfaces such as driveways or speed bumps. Thus, causing the clunking noise when turning to appear. It is worth noting that the wheel bearing is rarely a reason for the clunking noise when turning. What is this? Check their condition. Imagine that until you reach your workplace you need to take 10 corners. It may not display this or other websites correctly. The rate of the sound increases as the speed of the car increases and stops completely when the car is not moving. We and our partners use data for Personalised ads and content, ad and content measurement, audience insights and product development. Clicking on left turn | Tesla Owners Online Forum It turns off about 1-2 minutes later, then starts again after about 20-30 seconds. I had mine replaced 2 weeks ago. If the vehicle has a ton of miles, then these bearings start to fail and develop issues. We have a 2021 S now (that thankfully, has none of this), XLR82XS D M C Jul 26, 2019 3,169 2,002 If they are not check the mounts and if the mounts are bad, replace only the mounts. The control arms are holding the wheel to the chassis of the vehicle. The ignition system in modern cars consists of coil packs, spark plug wires, and spark plugs. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Recently my '21 MY 5-seater started making really bad noises from the trunk when over bumps or even just turning/driving at angle. On the other hand, your Tesla Model 3 might produce a clicking noise when there's a low amount of engine oil. If they have developed leaks and the rubber boot is out of place then its highly likely that the CV axle is bad. Interior rattles could indicate missing screws on interior trim pieces, worn window channels, or problems with roller tracks on doors and windows. Don't love it, but it sounds like you're saying they said it was ok. LR AWD - MSM - 19s - $1000 5/6/16 - $2500 7/1/18. When its a car making noise when accelerating and the clicking or ticking speeds up with higher RPMs, its coming from the engine and typically means that the engine is low on oil or that there is a problem with the oil pressure or valves. Check the boots and see if they are good. Similar to other suspension components. I tried again later and then the issue was back. This will usually result in sputtering, hesitation, or poor gas mileage. Another issue I'm starting to have is the driver's window. If the grinding noise occurs when you apply the brakes, it typically means you need new brake pads and possibly rotors. These power steering fluid leaks are caused by the broken seal of the power steering. TPMS was saying close to 45psi. The power steering rack is also one of the components that can fail and make your car develop clunking noise when turning. Frankly, even if the car is safe to drive (it might be) I can't stand the embarrassment of this loud sound. The wheel can even overtake you if it pops off, and your car ends up on the ground with some serious damage done to it. Whats causing them. So I took my MY in for a clicking noise when accelerating and slowing down. Dash clunk noiseonly when turning - Check if your J1772 adapter or something else is rolling around the glove box. Its now to the point where it pops when accelerating, braking, turning, or going over even the slightest bump (sometimes multiple times in quick succession). In the past the sound was generated due to a relay switch but modern automobiles like the Tesla should be using a solid state device which means the sound should be customizable. Come join the discussion about EV performance, charging, reviews, new models, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more! A rattle coming from the engine compartment could mean a failing water pump or a bad pulley bearing on the timing belt. Whining noise will be present first when you speed up the car. I thought I remember hearing that Tesla solved this over a year ago with a shimor was that for something different? I had a weird clicking/pop that didn't match others here on the forums. The cost to fix these issues is relatively low if you dont have a broken steering rack. Problem solved. If it has a lot of play. Required fields are marked *. But more on that in a bit after we cover all the possible components that can cause this problem to appear. Also, not to forget on the steering rack. Do you value your experience at TMC? The noise can only be replicated while moving in a forward. The most common cause of engine knocking is using low-octane gasoline in a car that requires high-octane gasoline, which leads to improper vehicle performance. A car humming noise from the tires usually means uneven wear or damage, while a grind from a wheel (without the brakes applied) is the sign of a failing wheel bearing. Instead, find a good mechanic who can diagnose car problems and fix them. I have what seems like a similar issue. Like the clunking sound when turning. It could also be caused by a bad steering rack, tie rod ends, or worn ball joints. The ticking may even occur just at certain RPMs, and, believe it or not, it can go away depending on the temperature under the hood. I just sent an email to Tesla service to see if they have anything to say about it. I was able to replicate it as seen in this video . The struts can also fail and cause mayhem. If the strut fails, first you will start to hear some clunking noise when turning. It also happens more often when turning while going up or down an incline (like in a parking garage). Dead Battery. Noob!This new hold . Troubleshooting is mastery and requires some good input in mechanics and how things work. So, an alignment has to be performed on the vehicle if you want to make your wheels run perfectly straight and without hiccups. I have a 2018 LR RWD acquired in September. Why Im saying this? For more information, please see our and our Lets see what your issue resolution might be. If everything is dry and dont have play, then you are good. And whats more weird is that it feels a lot more zippy! Front end clunk when wheels turned all the way (slow speed) 2021 Model 3 perf. You can change them, or change the whole control arm altogether. First, you learn the reasons and causes for the clunking noise when turning problem. One in a million cases, but still this is a possibility to happen and cause you to face this problem. G Gig103 Member Oct 6, 2016 245 119 Seattle area Feb 12, 2017 #9 LittoDevil said: If they are then you need to replace them. A grinding or low-pitched humming sound in a car can be a sign of wear and failing parts. Appreciate it. Tesla has also included sounds that you may hear when. Especially if the car is more than 20 years old. TESLA, TESLA MOTORS, TESLA ROADSTER, MODEL S, MODEL X, and the TESLA, T and TESLA and T in Crest designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of Tesla Motors, Inc. in the United States and other countries. Clicking sound when driving slow over bumps and turning the wheel, Loud Suspension Thump at Low Speeds or Sharp Turns. While sometimes these problems are only to annoy you. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. But what is a wheel bearing? (I tried to upload a short video I took but I can't get it to upload) anyhow when depressing the accelerator and letting off there is a loud clicking sound almost like gears changing on a bicycle. For Those With "Clicking" Sounds While Turning | Tesla Motors Club I'd say maybe 1 in 3 times that I pull into my driveway or any entrance where the street is flat but there is a high approach angle, I will hear a quick clunk / thunk sound come from my left front tire area as I pull over it. They similarly have lube and when this lube wears off, they also start to wear prematurely and cause symptoms and problems. Now, lets see the reasons why this problem of clunking noise when turning occurs. Tesla Motors Club LLC (TMC) is an independent enthusiast organization and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors, Inc. or its subsidiaries. The role of the ball joints is to connect the control arm and the wheels. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. It's now to the point where it pops when accelerating, braking, turning, or going over even the slightest bump (sometimes multiple times in quick succession). #tesla, #teslamodel3 @elonmuskIf you want 1,000 miles of free supercharging please use my Referral Code: http://ts.la/nicholas4590 Amazon Product Review Links at my Amazon Storefront - https://www.amazon.com/shop/teslalifeBougeRV Tesla Model 3 Trunk and Frunk Lifts https://amzn.to/2BtS1EC https://amzn.to/32xtvykTapTes Charging Cable Organizer - https://amzn.to/2J5j6C2Basenor's Tesla Model 3 Mud Flaps Splash Guards - https://amzn.to/31Gx8B7Brosan Tesla Model 3 Floor Mats Set - https://amzn.to/2N2esrmBougeRV Ultra-bright Interior LED Lights Bulbs - https://amzn.to/31A6OINEV Armor Tesla Model 3 center console wrap kit - https://amzn.to/2H4Nfk8HCYANG's Cup Goosemeck Phone Holder - https://amzn.to/2zyF1g8 As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Now lets get to work and start diagnosing suspension problems and clunking noise when turning on your car. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community. My 2020 MS modem handshaking noises? It seems to only happen while accelerating from a stop and it starts after decelerating to a slow speed <10mph. Just got my Y back So I took my MY in for a clicking noise when accelerating and slowing down. smacker. JavaScript is disabled. They verified it when I took it in. Get a Car Jack. My Model 3 recently started making a "clicking" sound from the front passenger-side wheel. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details. What is worse is that these components know to wear and cause noises like the clunking noise when turning to appear. Unlike previous designs that were using solid axles. It sounds almost similar to the one's I hear sometimes when supercharging. This is a good question that is important to know. You cannot build a house without a foundation. Copyright 2006-2022 Tesla Motors Club LLC. I just had mine resolved, it required both greasing them and tightening whatever mechanism/apparatus' are around that area and then have an alignment done. My last unit they put in almost exactly a year ago was a refurb' unitwondering if the new units might be improved. High-pitched hissing while the car is running is often a sign of a leak in a vacuum line, hose, or fitting, and it can be accompanied by a rough idle (idling is when the engine is running at its lowest RPM, like while sitting at a light or in a driveway). If you hear gears grinding while shifting a manual transmission, you may have a problem with the clutch, transmission, or synchronizers. Any help would be greatly appreciated! The main reason for a low amount of engine oil could be the result of leaks in the engine. desert museum palo verde tree root system tesla model 3 creaking noise when turning. I was advised they need to take a deeper look to make sure they knew what it was. I took my Model 3 in to the service center a couple months ago for this problem. Especially if there is something loose down under and in worst cases, you can be left without a wheel. They are ordering the parts and will do the swap on Tuesday. If your car makes noise when accelerating, and it sounds like squealing or chirping sounds when you step on the accelerator, you could have a loose or slipping engine belt, or there could be a problem with the water pump. A car engine noise that sounds like popping can indicate several problems, including worn or dirty spark plugs, a clogged fuel filter or dirty air filter, bad ignition wires, or a problem with the distributor cap or rotor. I've zipped the sound file and attached. 22 Model S makes clunking noise when backing out and turning Just got my S, less than 200 miles. I had a popping/creaking sound coming from my left front wheel while turning at slow speeds for awhile. It tells you that there is a problem with your car. While on modern cars they are made out of high-strength aluminum. Most of the axles have a flexible CV joint. The most common cause of the clunking noise is the steering shaft and U-joints, and other possible causes include suspension, power steering system, and sway bar. These sounds can indicate a number of different problems, including a failing water pump, a bad power steering pump, low power steering fluid, a failing alternator, or problems with the air-conditioning system. Weird clicking noise while sitting in car when turned off r/iBUYPOWER Weird ticking noise coming from top (I think radiator) fans r/TeslaModel3 Tesla vandal captured on camera at Costco in Sunnyvale CA r/TeslaModel3 Pink Wrapped Model 3 LR r/TeslaModel3 We're hip checking cars now? I love getting my hands dirty and repairing a car myself for a tenth of the price where possible. These links start to fail and develop issues. These allow power to be transferred efficiently to the wheels while still letting the wheels turn and move freely up and down. You will need a sturdy car jack to lift the vehicle before commencing work. Thats your call, but if your wheel falls off in the middle of the highway, you cannot blame others that they didnt warn you. I had this last Summer, if it's a "click" sound coming from the wheel area. Clicking noises, especially when turning, may indicate a problem with the CV joints, which are located on the inner and outer ends of the axles. (Its important to note that a little tick is normal. tesla model 3 creaking noise when turning Have noticed increasingly frequent but somewhat random clicking sounds, almost knocking, coming from R front of car, usually when first starting to drive, when hitting minor bumps or turning left. Problems with these ball joints are most pronounced on vehicles with huge body roll. AI Car Expert: Then you move on to diagnosing the issue. Also, when the steering rack fails, there are oil leaks onto the rack. It is synchronized with wheel speed. Even problems with tensioner pulleys can make a humming noise when accelerating or decelerating. Sounds of Tesla Vehicles - TeslaTap Sometimes its just a rock stuck in the tread that will eventually come loose while driving. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Older design vehicles that implement a body on frame design have sway bars installed. They didn't tell me at the time. Clicking noises can also be caused by failing universal joints, which are located on the drive shaft. Then based on this symptom clunking noise when turning to learn which of these components could possibly have failed. Control arms are extremely rugged and made out of high-strength steel in older applications. Troubleshooting is mastery by itself. Common reasons for this to happen: Torn CV Boot Your CV boot can get gradually torn or wear out over the course of time. If its nice and dry then it is ok. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. Went to pick up my Y today and I was told that they needed to torque down all the axles front and rear and they then proceeded to test it again. I recorded some short videos of the vehicle making the noise. Then replacing it would be your best bet. Clicking or Tapping Clicking noises, especially when turning, may indicate a problem with the CV joints, which are located on the inner and outer ends of the axles. Articles may contain affiliate links which enable us to share in the revenue of any purchases made. Also had Tesla fix my charging port door which wasn't working properly. If your car is making a hissing sound right after you turn off the car, it is often a sign that oil or coolant is leaking onto the exhaust manifold or another heated engine part. This sound is usually caused by an object stuck in the tire. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. MS developed this symptom just last week. This is your last resort and checks if the bearing is any good. And it only makes this noise when pressing or letting off on the accelerator. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details. I started experiencing the same ticking noise at low speed when turning left or right , will wait to take it into the service center in two weeks. I placed a service request and here is what happened. There are usually three bushings per control arm in total, these are made out of high-strength plastic and are installed on each hole. Here's a list of things service did before I sold the car this spring. These sounds are pretty much a dead giveaway on a broken steering rack. Thats why you have to learn how to troubleshoot and learn how to solve your problems without paying big money to mechanics. Well it was easily fixed, and I was relieved that it wasn't the start of something that could get progressively worse. JavaScript is disabled. We had a similar clicking noise in our 2018 S but that was definitely suspension related and for which they tried similar repair measures, but sadly, to no avail. Same with the CV axle. The CV joint offers greater versatility and allows the motion of the wheel to be better when it comes to absorbing hits from potholes. This will guarantee that you will get rid of that clunking noise when turning. If you have a problem like this, then you need to jump into diagnosing the issue. What is good is that they are relatively inexpensive and dont cost much to replace. Archived post. Sound started to come back lately so not sure what I'm dealing with. The steering shaft is made of metal and it connects the steering column to the rack and pinion or steering gear. Lets say you overload the truck and big weight is transferred onto the springs. I dont know how to explain it. You cannot know why does it appears until you investigate. The control arms are quite inexpensive and its better to replace them than pay someone to remove and install new bushings. The rate of the sound increases as the speed of the car increases and stops completely when the car is not moving. fix for Tesla Model 3 axle click noise - YouTube Below are some possible reasons why your car might be ticking when it's off! Clicking/Ticking noise when turning steering wheel all the way left I'll post when I have news on this. A broken exhaust can also affect emissions control and performance, so its important to get on it right away. This can sound like a low rumbling noise when accelerating at low speeds or a loud droning sound at highway speeds. I am here to help you with your car questions. I lowered back to 42 and the noise seems to have gone away. I know that the DU noises have been talked about as nauseum here and I read through most of the pages but didn't see my noise. Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More. We and our partners use cookies to Store and/or access information on a device. Knowing this will be an extra helper in diagnosing the issue. Might be a variant on the clunk noise that indicates the need to fix/replace the drive unit (gear lash). Ridding your car of annoying clicking sounds when you steer is a job that requires you to get your hands dirty. Old-School Car Maintenance Tricks All Drivers Sho 10 Car Maintenance Tasks to Do Every Spring. Loud clicking noise when I turn the car Inspection Service & Cost Privacy Policy. This is only if you want to perform a full inspection. Clicking noise from Model 3 wheel area : r/teslamotors When you notice problems like this clunking noise when turning, it is important to react and try to solve the issue as soon as possible. In this case, noises can be heard. We have a team of writers working daily on common car problems. Tightened it down and the noise went away. Motor Verso is an automotive website; for car enthusiasts, run by car enthusiasts. I have what seems like a similar issue. Why Is My Car Ticking When It's Off? (Notable Causes!) First, we learned what this problem is and what does it represents. Please watch video. Clicking sound while accelerating and decelerating Also, other noises like squeaking are very common with this problem. It may not display this or other websites correctly. To make this happen, there are components at each front wheel called ball joints, and their job is to provide tremendous amounts of flexibility, pivoting and twisting to allow the suspension to adapt to potholes, speed bumps, or uneven ground. Clunking noise when turning is audible information that tells you that there is something wrong with your vehicle. They fix it by adding a shim to the steering rack mounting points, it's a technical service bulletin and a known issue. I had this noise, click like brake pads were loose on accel/brake at low speeds. Some days I don't hear it at all when I turn, while other days I hear it every time I turn. A clunking sound at a normal speed could indicate a problem with the power steering system. Copyright 2006-2022 Tesla Motors Club LLC. Car Making Squeaking Noise When Driving Slow Why It Happens? If you hear a growling noise when turning, it can be a bad wheel bearing. Big trucks and SUVs have two control arms while cars have only one control arm which is the lower control arm. I had the same issue as well and I'm very close to the techs and engineers at Tesla and was inquiring about that hehe. Loose Brake Pads Loose Brake. Does anyone know how to get a new vs refurbished unit? A clunking noise when turning your steering wheel should not be ignored as it could lead to a serious issue. And you will be good to go. The mount is connecting the strut with the strut tower. The noise is actually coming from the steering rack to the front sub frame.. that's the specific answer. Clicking, Clunking, or Thumping Sound From Floor of Vehicle When Parked, Model 3 opens the HV Battery contactors to help conserve energy. Ask me anything. They are very good about looking at stuff that shouldnt be. You can schedule online and request a loaner. Thats why search for the shop that will do this work on the cheap but will still deliver a quality result. Tesla Motors Club LLC (TMC) is an independent enthusiast organization and is not affiliated with Tesla Motors, Inc. or its subsidiaries. RELATED: How to Change a Car Battery Like a Pro. You can do this by doing a wiggle maneuver on your wheel while the wheel is in the air. I added air when it was -20C in January since it had dropped to 39psi. You are using an out of date browser. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I'm on version: 2018.4.6 9a47df4