A college degree enables higher job potential. another way of saying that. You may have asked about remote working at the end of your interview and been met with inflexibility. 2 Answers Sorted by: 2 Depending on the context, one of these should fit: once-in-a-lifetime opportunity big break chance of a lifetime break: an opportunity that helps you to be successful (Macmillan English Dictionary) Share Improve this answer Follow answered Nov 9, 2015 at 19:17 A.P. Use The Muse to find a job at a company with a culture you love. Related: The Right Way To Discuss Your Failures In A Job Interview. This allows you to not only to focus the choice to seek new employment on yourself, but it allows you to speak more about what makes the move so important to you. On the other hand, for both employers and employees, writing rejection letters via email is much more convenient. These two facts would make you a more valuable hire then someone who just stumbled upon the business. Garry was an ideal Lets get started by looking at the steps you need to take. Find more . English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. I look forward to hearing from you soon.. Doing so will help to solidify you in the mind of your interviewer as a person who knows what he or she wants and who has a long-term plan for his or her future. Be honest about your reasons for declining the offer, even if it's not what you are looking for. In a case like that, you can simply say something like I feel this new position will be a better fit professionally.. If you have already talked to the person you are writing to about it, you can reference this, saying something like, As we discussed on [date], Friday, March 3 will be my last day at XYZ Corporation.. Use polite wording without revealing what you didn't like about the job. Trying to fill up the silence with words like um can make it look like youre grasping to think of what to say. Second, you might have always dreamed of being an amazing cook, but if you never spend any time in the kitchen, youre not qualified to prepare a banquet meal. This is one negative phrase that youll want to avoid in particular. So in this article, Ill walk you through the following: Employers ask this job interview question to make sure you didnt cause problems at your last company, and to understand your goals so they can hire someone who will be a good long-term fit for the role! I wish you well in your future endeavors and hope you might agree to keep in touch on LinkedIn as I would love to hear if any opportunities come up in the future. Dont panic and dont be apologetic. Your manager or the person who hired you left and you feel its a good time to make a transition for yourself, too. All thats left to do is send out your letters or emails and look forward to your first day of work at the company you didnt reject! How you format the letter varies based on whether you are sending an email or a physical letter. Declining professionally still leaves the door open for you at the same organization in the future. Why will you be better at that task than other people applying to the same role? How you approach this letter will vary somewhat depending on the situation and your relationship with your boss. ', referring to the nuclear power plant in Ignalina, mean? A word, gesture or expression for a confident "shrug", xcolor: How to get the complementary color. decoration ranging from the basic to sumptuous. And you want the interviewer to know that, to get that youre already an ambassador for their work, and that youd be up to speed. You can ensure your message is received quickly and your potential employer can filter their candidates just as swiftly. Ubuntu won't accept my choice of password, Folder's list view has different sized fonts in different folders. Finally, make sure that youre focusing on the future rather than the past. I invite you to get to the root cause of your language patterns, and to work on shifting them if you want long-term results.. There are several ways in which you can notify the recruiter of your decision, including by letter, email or phone call. You can still mention your commute length as one reason, especially if its extremely long right now, but its best to mention one or two career-related factors as well (youll see this in the example answers coming up!). At the end of your resignation letter, you should include something referring to the transition. Give a real weakness. Synonyms: range, variety, selection, Usually, you can tell when youve absolutely bombed an interview. Extracting arguments from a list of function calls. find a way. YOURE NOT ALONE. Although the United States is the wealthiest nation in the world, many low-income students, who are disproportionately people of color, do not have access to high-quality educational resources and opportunities. A college degree provides more job openings. Synonyms for opportunities include possibilities, options, choices, alternatives, prospects, recourses, scenarios, routes, selection and propositions. If you were fired and need help explaining it, read this article. antonyms. The role the job description entails See if the position you are being offered is something you would be comfortable being in. Lists. And no, the message shouldnt simply be Hire me. Everyones application can be summed up with those two words. Who you need to address this letter to will vary based on the convention at your company. There are a few other ways to use this term during an interview. You can inform the potential employers about your current needs and the level of flexibility you desire when you update them about your decision to not take the job. This lets you plan ahead and prepare for traffic boosting opportunities that will arise in the days to come. Not a winning combination for an interview. Of course, youre probably not saying these on purpose, so the first step is simply being aware of when and how often you say them. antonyms. Look into whether the employers require you to work overtime and whether this is suitable for your schedule. range from a close-knit pub setting to a party animal's dream. 1) New job position - Whether you have been approved for a position or just had the opportunity to be interviewed, you can write a thank you email. Thank you again for your time and I wish you all the best in the future. Here is an example of a rejection letter when you are declining an offer due to personal reasons such as continuing your education, health issues, etc. Youre relocating for personal reasons (for example, to be closer to aging parents) and need to, You were fired (sometimes, if you were fired, its best to be honest and upfront about it. to eight miles. My current role is going well, but Ive been at the company for six years, and I think its time to experience another organization in order to expose myself to new challenges and keep growing professionally. Unfortunately, I must decline your offer as I have found that the position isn't flexible enough for my needs. As such, its important to think about how youd explain to any potential new employer exactly why youre leaving your old job for a better opportunity. The knowledge, skills, and experiences I have gained while working here have been invaluable and will certainly stay with me throughout my career. And if youre unemployed, the hiring manager will want to know the reason for that, too. Your goal is to show that youre motivated by the new opportunity, not by grievances by your other employer. I appreciate you considering me as a candidate. I give you my best wishes in finding the right candidate for the position and am open to passing on recommendations on your company's behalf. Focus on why you want to join their team instead.. Let me take a moment to think about it. This way, youll come across as calm and collected rather than nervous, Klimkiewicz suggests. When you register or purchase through links on this page, we may earn a commission. But that just goes to show you that you shouldnt believe everything you see on the silver screen. The mistake interviewees make is asking this question too soon, says April Klimkiewicz, career coach and owner of bliss evolution. Is is close in meaning to "possibilities". Ideally, pick something specific to thank them for, so your comment doesn't come across as overly generic. No one wants to hire a negative person! Meneghello says. call it a day. Synonyms Similar meaning. Generally, it's a polite way to show how interested you are in a role. Her advice has been published across the web (. As you might imagine, this can be tough in some positions. Avoid negative language and put-downs, whether referring to yourself, previous jobs, work environments, or the world in general. The possibilities of a particular carrier path Unless you are in dire need of work, any job you accept should be in alignment with your chosen carrier path. Dont Go Retrograde On Your Word Of The Day Quiz Streak! A college degree can get you more job opportunities. If you ask this, you can bet your chances are zerothis goes beyond desperation and moves into pathetic territory, Painter says. Example Answer #5: I've enjoyed my current company but we're going through big changes right now. You don't have to go into too many details, only point out your current interests. "Backstab" doesn't work, A word for people who work under a manager. It only covers your passion for the position. Who among us hasnt had a moment when their mind goes completely blank in the middle of an interview? different way of saying. Whatever the specific reason, you need to write a resignation letter as a courtesy, even if you have already verbally given notice. Next, Ill share a list of good reasons you can use to explain why youre job searching! Depending on the circumstances, this might be specific, such as saying when you will wrap up a particular project and what you will delegate to colleagues or that you will document certain processes before you go. another way of saying it. Record yourself answering mock interview questions to see how bad your filler words are. Instead, be sure to ask questions that get at how you could ultimately help the company reach their goals. All products and services featured are independently selected by WikiJob. Thank them for offering you the job and then decline politely. Once again, thank you for much for the opportunity to be part of such an exceptional team. These are clich words that dont really mean anything. To avoid leaping into a rash decision and declining an offer impulsively, consider the following factors: The suitability of the employer Research your prospective employer to see if you could work for them or not. The less you can badmouth, the better! Sara McCord is a freelance writer and editor, who most frequently covers the career beat. find ways. Part of the reason hiring managers ask this question is to gauge your interest in and knowledge of the company. To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. Youre looking to grow or take the next step in your career and your current employer cant offer the type of opportunity you seek. Walkers So, highlight all of the good aspects of your close attention to the company or sector. Consider the following examples to help you decide how to say, "thank you." "Thank you for giving me the opportunity to interview." "I really appreciate the opportunity." "I am really grateful for this opportunity." "Thank you for making time to speak with me today." "Thank you for the learning experience." Because thatll also make it seem like youd probably be a yes man (or yes woman); someone whod be so excited to come to work each day hed follow any planinstead of pushing back when there might be better options. Not so much. At the same time, I would like to inform you that I am interested in the position of [the role you are interested in] as I consider it a better fit for my skills and abilities. "prospects" is a good replacement. Your preferred pathway may choose over time, so make sure to reconsider it every time you receive an offer. Better Opportunities synonyms - 62 Words and Phrases for Better Opportunities best opportunities n. best hope n. best chance best prospects better possibilities further opportunities n. good opportunities n. greater opportunities major opportunities n. maximum opportunities n. perfect opportunities n. wider opportunities additional possibilities Dont go into detail about which aspects of the position youve accepted compare favorably to the one youre turning down as you want to leave the door as open as possible. But during the interview? Its normal to search for jobs, whether you were recently laid off or are simply looking for a better opportunity while still employed. You get alerts whenever theres news and your talk about the company so often that people ask if you work there. Notice how in both of these answer examples above, Im concluding by explaining why their job and company interested me. By mentioning that the organization seems to have shifted its messaging, or packaging, or something that only someone who worked there or truly loved the product would know, youll make it clear that you could contribute an informed opinion from day one. It shows respect. What element of it are you most excited about? Clearly, you get the target audience, and you have a strong sense of the companys evolution. Lists. WikiJob 2007-2023. To ensure you can provide ample reasons, send the email only after contemplating all the advantages and disadvantages of rejecting the offer. Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. Find more similar words at wordhippo.com! In fact, if you really dislike your job and prefer to limit your interactions with your supervisor as much as possible, your written resignation may also be your initial notification that you intend to leave. Think up some more situations to draw from in advance. If, during the course of your conversation, you reveal that youre totally unqualified, let slip a particularly unprofessional anecdote, or manage to offend the recruiter or hiring manager, its typically not a surprise when you dont get a callback. Though it is always preferable to consider things like commute before applying for the job, the experience of traveling to the interview may have been surprisingly arduous and could have left you feeling unsure. Make sure to state your rejection clearly, and back it up with solid reasons. 01 "I'm happy to be a part of this team, and I eagerly anticipate your insights and input to help get me up to speed." This formal response to being put into a team for the first time is good to use when you're working with older or more experienced colleagues. There are several ways in which you can notify the recruiter of your decision, including by letter, email or phone call. One other thing that attracted me to your role was the industry that youre in. The potential income you can gain After your employer, the salary is the second most noteworthy factor to consider. The good which came to him, directly and indirectly, from these. That better opportunity could mean that the new job will help you progress in your career, or it could mean that you are getting paid more. Take a look at the following words and phrases that drive recruiters crazy, and make sure to eliminate them from your vocab! A refreshed look at leadership from the desk of CEO and chief content officer Stephanie Mehta, Fast Company & Inc 2023 Mansueto Ventures, LLC, These 13 Phrases Can Make Or Break Your Job Prospects, The Surprising Ways You Ruined Your Interview Before You Even Opened Your Mouth, The Right Way To Discuss Your Failures In A Job Interview, Three Job Interview Mistakes You Think You Avoided But Actually Didnt. These arent the only acceptable answers, but hopefully, this gives you some idea of the wide range of answers you can use. What should I follow, if two altimeters show different altitudes? While the most polite way to decline a job offer is through your phone, as this allows you to state your reasons, doing it in writing also has its benefits. We are in the "closing arguments phase" of the local election campaign, deputy political editor Sam Coates says. chopsticks are also a good choice when people send presents to In positioning the character the way that he does, the actor also gives audiences an, B2B advertisers are changing the way they play the search marketing game in 2021, and those who innovate early and often are the ones who rise to the challenge, and, ultimately, capitalize on the. At the very least, taking this route shows that youve learned a bit of discretion in your former position. D. another way of saying. Also, eradicate passive phrases like I think and you know with more confident and directive statements, Viviano says. At least a third say each of these were major reasons why they left. WELLS LEFT A LEGACY OF ACTIVISM IN EDUCATION. What is another word for "boss" for a company with a flatter hierarchy? An easy way to avoid this? Whether youre being rejected or you are rejecting an offer, its always a good idea to be polite. prospects for the steel industry'. If anything, it just made me wonder what the employer would say about them! Follow these steps to structure your approach: If you have received multiple offers, you should mention this to the hiring managers during the interview process. An award-winning team of journalists, designers, and videographers who tell brand stories through Fast Company's distinctive lens, The future of innovation and technology in government for the greater good, Fast Company's annual ranking of businesses that are making an outsize impact, Leaders who are shaping the future of business in creative ways, New workplaces, new food sources, new medicine--even an entirely new economic system. Don't sit on a decision for days or hold off deciding on one company over another because you're nervous about saying no to one of them. So I get it! The key is to focus on the opportunity ahead, not the opportunity behind you. Sure, youre excited about the position, in love with the company, and obsessed with the industry. All rights reserved. Yours truly in business correspondence is acceptable as are words such as Best and Sincerely.. Instead, adopt a vague tone as to why youre turning the offer down. You may be unable or unwilling to change your lifestyle for your new job. Why are players required to record the moves in World Championship Classical games? What were the most popular text editors for MS-DOS in the 1980s? So, they err on the other extreme, making it sound like theyre sitting across the table from the hiring manager, telling him or her just how much they really want the role. What element of it are you most excited about? Your answer can be quite long, but can also be one to two sentences. An example of an answer that I wouldnt want to hear as an employer is, This job is 10 minutes from my home and Id love to have a shorter commute. If the better opportunity is that you will no longer have to work with a supervisor or coworkers you dislike or you believe you will be treated better at the new job, this is not the place to express that. Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products. They dont describe what makes you special, or even whether you are a good fit for the company, says Aurora Meneghello, career coach and founder of Repurpose Your Purpose. You might think that declining the offer will offend the recruiter but informing them promptly is still the better option. Example: Simple Resignation Letter for Better Opportunity, Example: Short Resignation Letter Sample with Reason Better Opportunity. If you have taken the time to craft a well-written letter or plan exactly what you are going to say if you call, it will leave a better impression. Related terms for another way to say- synonyms, antonyms and sentences with another way to say. It was a pleasure to talk to you and your colleagues during the hiring process. It's always important to formally write your rejection but before you do, call the person who interviewed you and let them know your decision by phone. Theres no limit of great questions you can ask, but a couple that Painter recommends in particular are, Can you tell me about some of the current challenges facing your department, and what the teams strategy is regarding those issues? and How do you measure success for this position?. If youre currently employed, its best to sound like youre making a change for career-related reasons (such as wanting to take a step up in your career) or for unavoidable personal circumstances (like your spouse or partner finding a new job in a different state and you needing to do the same). Its always important to formally write your rejection but before you do, call the person who interviewed you and let them know your decision by phone. If you really must, write another, angry letter than says exactly what you are thinking, on your home computer or somewhere else far away from your workplace where no one can see it! Its better to sound like youre leaving your job in order to grow professionally. This answer might be the truth. Dont Go Retrograde On Your Word Of The Day Quiz Streak! Reject it only after you are certain that the particular role isn't for you or if you have something you would be more comfortable doing. It just might be the case that the actual words youre using in your interview might be rubbing employers the wrong way. The biggest mistake to avoid when answering this question is badmouthing a former boss, coworker, or employer. If the everyday commute is not feasible, you may also need to add moving expenses to your calculations. Below you'll find all the possible scenarios you may encounter when rejecting a job offer, and example templates for a letter or email you can send for each of them. If you consider the job offered to you unsuitable salary or carrier wise, rejecting it politely shows more professionalism than accepting it only to quit working soon after because you or your employer aren't satisfied. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. A resignation is usually a formality. Here is a sample email for rejecting a role while asking for a different role at the same company: I appreciate the time you have taken to offer and interview me for the position of [position name]. By clicking Accept all cookies, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy. The time the job will take Even if you have fixed work hours, the time to complete the job each day can change. On this page you'll find 101 synonyms, antonyms, and words related to opportunity, such as: convenience, event, excuse, freedom, hope, and moment. Here is a sample email for rejecting an offer after accepting one from another company: Subject Line: Job Offer [Your name or the hiring manager's name]. 8 Things to Do When You Dont Want to Work Anymore, What Does Success Look Like? 1. Most of the time, you will have already discussed your intention to leave with your supervisor ahead of time. So, focus on the tangible way that your history with the company would allow you to quickly fit in and get to work. I wish you the best of luck. How do the interferometers on the drag-free satellite LISA receive power without altering their geodesic trajectory? Instead, Painter recommends saying something along the lines of, The prospect of working here is really exciting, and I think Id be a great addition to your team.. City, State Zip Code As a substitute, Painter recommends going with, Thank you very much for your time! It could be procrastination, public speaking, data analysiswhatever it is, just make sure it isnt crucial to the success of you doing your job and always explain how you are working to improve upon it, Viviano recommends. You want to do it in such a way that it does not negatively affect your reputation in the industry and prevent you from securing another opportunity with the company in the future. Youd like to gain exposure to a different stage or size of company to become more well-rounded (for example, looking to join a start-up after spending your entire career in large corporations). Suggesting a connection on LinkedIn is the most professional way to do this, but always ensure you ask permission before connecting. Use the answers to drill down to why youre excited and what youd bring and your letter will be much more memorable than one that simply shares overall enthusiasm. find opportunities. While it shares why youre interested, it doesnt mention what youd bring to the role. Im hoping to find a position thats closer to my home while also providing a great next step in my career. You might notice that this letter is not quite as warmly written as the previous one. Theres nothing to apologize for. But this response isnt going to help you get the job offer in most cases. First, anyone can make that claim. In this post, youll learn how to write an effective resignation letter due to a better opportunity. For example, if you have a good relationship with a very supportive boss who was aware that you were looking for a new job, your letter might include more details than if you didnt have such a good relationship. Even worse, it makes the candidate look like they dont have relevant experience or skills, since they have to keep restating information that was already covered, says career coach Donna Shannon. MY GREAT-GRANDMOTHER IDA B. It's never wise to burn bridges. Follow. By doing it over the phone, you can speak to someone in real-time, and you'll be able to ensure that the prospective employer registers your appreciation in your intonation. If appropriate due to mutual career paths or industries, you could also suggest keeping in touch for future networking or more suitable opportunities in the future. : I appreciate the generous offer you have given me for the role of [role] at [company name]. Opposite of "to put a good word in for"? Hiring managers always prefer someone whos excited about their job and company, rather than someone who seems like they just want any job they can find. If the person is not available, leave your name and contact details and tell them you will call back. Here is a sample letter for declining a job that doesn't fit your long term carrier goals or desired career path: Contact Name Be grateful and be ready to move on., Almost every recruiter has heard this eye roll-inducing answer to the question, What is your greatest weakness?. See how your sentence looks with different synonyms. What is another word for job opportunity? If you want to reject your job offer in the right way, then take these steps: Before you make the first step, you must ensure that rejecting or accepting a particular job offer is in your best interest. C. call a truce. In an email resignation, putting your name on the next line after the sign-off as you would with any other type of email is fine. I am grateful that you offered me the position of [insert job position] and trusted my suitability and experience for the role. The Commute Is Too Arduous You have to consider the time it will take for you to get to and from the workplace. I'm writing something where I have to use that phrase quite a bit. noun lucky chance; favorable circumstances synonyms for opportunity Compare Synonyms convenience event excuse freedom hope moment space time break connection contingency cut fitness fling fortuity go happening hour juncture leisure liberty occasion opening pass prayer probability relief room run scope shot show spell squeak stab turn whack I don't want it to sound redundant. Instead of using those terms, practice telling a short and specific story that shows how you worked hard, or learned fast. Let's walk through some steps to keep top of mind when politely and professionally declining a job offer. Our editorial content is not influenced by any commissions we receive and we thank you for the support. However, you never want to look like just a fan. CASE STUDY: SCHNEIDER ELECTRICS DIGITAL TRANSFORMATION THROUGH CENTRALIZED SEARCH. Talking about what excites you about the opportunity helps show your enthusiasm for the job. Both of my bosses and the person who recruited me into the company have left the organization, and I feel that its a good time for me to look to make a transition as well if Im able to find the right opportunity. There are many reasons for leaving a job but also there are many reasons for declining a job offer. Synonyms for OPPORTUNITY: chance, occasion, opening, break, shot, luck, fortuity, suitable circumstance, juncture, excuse, happening, contingency, advantage, event . Please kindly let me know of any specific ways in which I can aid in making the transition as smooth as possible. Thank you very much for considering me as a candidate for the role and I am looking forward to future opportunities with your company. You can, however, offer to keep in touch, so you can revisit the offer in case your needs and preferences change. Synonyms for opportunity include prospect, chance, shot, break, contingency, indication, opening, option, scope and advantage.